Looking for Multipurpose Saw

Is anyone aware of a table or miter saw that can cut wood, metal, and possibly tile? For example, wood flooring, a shower enclosure header bracket, and ceramic tile.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
mjb920

It would depend on the blade, mainly, and then on the reaction of that saw to the water/coolant necessary to cut tile with a saw. Most would take it mighty personally and try to kill you. If you do find something, post it back here - I've never heard of such an animal.

RicodJour

i'd be afraid of that monster

Reply to
chickenwing

For tile & brick (only a few cuts ~20) I've used a dry diamond blade on my Makita table saw, not ideal but doable.

TIle really works best with wet saw

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I know people that have cut metal on their miter saw by changing the blade. Makes a mess though. Tile says usually use a wet process but I guess it can be done with an abrasive blade. If you decide to try this, be sure to remove the dust collecting bag and clean up the sawdust before cutting metal. Metal will send hot chips that could start the dust on fire.

IMO, this is not a good idea, but it is your money.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
mjb920

It can be done, but unless the tool was designed for it you'll be killing the tool. One size does not fit all in tools. What exactly are the limitations, besides money, that you need to combine all of these cutting functions into one tool?

RicodJour

what kind of metal and how thick?

bill

Reply to
rider89

Years ago I had a former GM development engineer working for me.

He showed me that anything that can be done in wood with wood working tools can be done in aluminum with woodworking tools with good quality carbide cutters.

I have made hundreds of aluminum cuts on various miter & table saws with no ill effects on the machines. Heavy duty & repeated cutting of aluminum requires blades with special tooth configurations but the occasional aluminum cut (door sill, shower stall material, angles) can be done with "wood cutting" carbide tipped blades.

Just make the cuts slowly w/o bogging the saw.

Cutting steel is a whole different story. The use of abrasive blades on woodworking saws to cut steel is messy business. Sparks, material & blade residue go everywhere. Cutting anything but small cross sections will overload most wood working machines.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I have a cheap Delta bench top table saw I use to cut tile and cultured marble. Use a dry cut diamond blade. I put the same blade in a miter saw to cut the cultured marble molding. I also have used the miter saw to cut aluminum extrusions (different blade, fine tooth metal cutting and stick a block of warmed wax in the blade prior to making the cut.)

If I did this all the time I would buy a wet saw. Dry cutting tile and cultured marble makes a lot of very fine dust and I would'nt expect the tools to last a long time with constant use in those conditions.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

If you worked on igloos you'd need a Thaws-All!

Reply to
Steve Kraus

lol

Reply to