Length between vertical supports for an 11ft hammock?

The kids have outgrown the backyard swingset and we're thinking of repurposing it as a hammock stand. The longest distance between two vertical poles is 11ft-9inches. I see lots of variables in hammocks online. Some that claim to be 11ft from metal loop to metal loop also recommend adding a section of chain onto the end of one side to allow for "adjustments." Does anyone have experience in this sort of thing? Worried that if we buy 11ft long model it may just sag too much or something. Advice appreciated! Regards, Theodore.

Reply to
milli...

A hammock imo is a lousy choice to replace the swings unless you are willing to store it properly. It will rot and get moldy being outside all the time. Maybe a trampoline would be more exciting. To check out if it will work, grab a good rope of the same length and experiment.

Reply to
Thomas

That is if the supports on the end are moveable. May only have to cut the horizontal pipe and move one end in. If buried or cemented in place, not so much.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Then when someone jumps up, he'll hit the bar that the swings swung from.

Get rid of the swingset. WTF is wrong with you thinkers.

Reply to
Thomas

Save it, sure. Only one person thinks to put a trampoline under it.

Reply to
Thomas

I'm the OP and I definitely want to save it. I used to have a hammock and dedicated hammock stand 10+years ago, and would only take it out when I wanted to use it. I -never- left it out in the rain because that would make it nasty and moldy (no thanks). That one is long since gone. Current swing set has two major horizontal spans: one is 11ft-9in (where I want to put a hammock) and the other span is 90degrees to the main one and we installed what i can describe as a two-seater porch swing. We removed the slide, the tower and canopy, and the monkey bar part. We're basically transitioning it from kiddie to adult. Sounds like my best bet will be to just buy one somewhere with a decent return policy and see how it fits.

Reply to
milli...

We had a wooden A-frame swing set. When the kids were done with it SWMBO had me cover both sides of each A-frame with lattice. We set them up so that the faces were on the same plane, about 15’ feet apart at the base and then mounted a double 2 x 4 top rail. It acts as an entrance way to our fire pit area, setting it off from the rest of the yard.

I wasn’t too thrilled with the idea at first, but over time SWMBO has added sections of flower gardens in various spots around the yard, some with cedar flower boxes I’ve made, bird baths, a curved walkway, etc. I don’t know if she had some master plan in mind when she had me set up the A-frames, but I’m pretty impressed with what she done with the yard over the years. It’s a nice peaceful place to hang out.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson