Lending library for tools

There was an article in Saturday's paper about our local library considering lending tools as well as books. It mentioned such things as cement mixers, saws, etc.

At first, I thought it was an interesting idea, but on second thought I imagined how those tools could, and probably would, be abused by people who don't know how to use them or care for them, or just don't care.

For example: "I didn't know you weren't supposed to cut tile with a skill saw". "I didn't realize there were nails in that old 2 X 4 - but the saw cut them pretty good". "Rain wasn't forecast, so I thought it would be okay to leave the miter saw outside since I was going to use it in the morning". "I thought I'd washed the concrete mixer pretty good - guess not". Etc - etc.

Then there is the liability problem: "Your Honor, nobody showed me how to use that router well enough, and that's how I lost a finger, and why I am suing the city".

The article said there are other libraries that loan tools. Is anyone aware of this practice and how it works in reality?

Just curious - Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

Sorry, don't know any library lending tools. However, I know hardware stores where you can rent tools at low rates. Not only for material you bought there.

Oh, BTW, I am in Germany.

virtuPIC

-- Airspace V - international hangar flying!

for tools & toys

Reply to
virtuPIC

The Berkeley library has a branch that loans tools. Post-hole diggers, scaffolding, pressure washers, ladders, hand tools, whatever.

Consequently, there are no tool rental stores in Berkeley.

How about libraries loaning tables and chairs for a reception? Trucks or trailers for that one-time move? Heck, why not limousines for the prom? Small airplanes for drilling holes in the sky on a lazy weekend? Deep-sea fishing boats? Clowns for your three-year-old's birthday party?

I am not in favor of buring books. Most library administrators, however, should be herded together then somebody strike a flint.

Reply to
HeyBub

on 5/5/2008 6:44 AM Bob said the following:

The rental stores just tell you how to turn it on, in most cases, too.

Reply to
willshak

"Bob" wrote in news:ZFATj.1606$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe20.lga:

I wish someone would develop a commercial version of the USAF's auto hobby shops.They had garage bays with basic tool sets,and a tool crib for loaning special tools. It would be nice to have a place to do some repair jobs I can't do in the parking lot.

But,as others have mentioned,liability would be a problem.

I wonder;do USAF bases still have the auto hobby shops?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Our library needs to get the voters to re-approve its funding every so many years. They were having a difficult time getting the voters to vote yes.

I pointed out that many people do not read books. They watch TV, play video games, etc. So I suggested the library offer something to the non-book readers. Perhaps loan sports equipment, movies, video games, etc. Whatever. My suggestion went in one ear and out the other. They lost at the next election.

Anyway I think it is a good idea. Might get more people yes for libraries if they also provide services for the non-book readers.

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

also,the librarians would not know how to maintain and service the tools.

loaning tools would be Gov't competing with local businesses. decrease their earnings,tax revenues decrease,businesses go out of business,people become unemployed.

That is why it's not a good idea.

Books,OTOH,are educational items,and it's good for gov't to enable low cost education.They also have Internet connected PCs and printers for people to use for free. IMO,voting could be done by PC;just have the registered voter use a unique registration number sent to them by snailmail along with a sample ballot,they go online to the voting website,enter their choices,have the selected choices emailed back to them for confirmation. The computers at the voting HQ prints out a ballot for hard copy,with the registration number(but no name/address) so there's no funny business.

Those without PCs could vote at libraries and schools,like they already do in some places. You could also have mobile voting buses with wi-fi PC connections.

I note that some libraries DO loan movies (classics?)and perhaps video games,though probably not the latest and greatest. Movies are also becoming more available online.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Bob" wrote in news:ZFATj.1606$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe20.lga:

Books and DVDs get stolen. Now Tools? LOL

Reply to
TD

On 5/5/2008 4:49 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Not true, actually, as a glance at the yellow pages shows Big 4 and Hertz Equipment Rental branches in Berkeley.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 5/5/2008 3:44 AM Bob spake thus:

I'm a borrower at my local tool lending library, the Temescal Branch of the Oakland Public Library. They've been lending a broad range of tools for more than a decade now with none of the problems you've posed here. They have everything from ordinary hand tools to gardening stuff to tile saws to hammer drills, Sawzalls, post-hole diggers, grinders, routers, you name it.

The staff is knowledgeable, but they will tell you that they don't know everything about how to use every tool. That's why they also have a large selection of how-to books there.

It works quite well, and everyone's happy with it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I stand corrected. Thank you for the information.

Reply to
HeyBub

It's a terrible idea, bordering on Communism. Anyone who suggests such should be shunned.

They'd probably feel more at home on a commune anyway.

Reply to
HeyBub

On 5/5/2008 2:09 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Or perhaps a kibbutz ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Nellis AFB did that last time I was there, about five years ago. There were Federal prisoners on the base and the Arts and Crafts Center had inmates working there.

The center allowed folks to come in, take a safety lesson and use a complete wood shop. Inmates actually built my garage cabinets THAT I purchased through the Arts and Craft Center.

The prison has closed and prisoners moved.

Reply to
Oren

On 5/5/2008 10:32 AM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

I just came back from the tool lending library (returned the Makita side grinder I borrowed), so I can tell you that they've actually been around for nine years and have never had a liability problem, once, in all that time.

It's pretty simple, really: borrowers sign a liability waiver, which protects the library from claims against it in case of injury. The guy there said he remembered exactly one case of someone cutting themself on a table saw, but that it didn't result in any litigation against the library. (File under "shit happens", I suppose.)

You can look at their web info at

David Nebenzahl

I live in the metro Milwaukee area, and there are two locations of a "tool loan program". Here is a little info about one -

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Okay good input but how do they keep costs in check. I imagine most tools are donated but what about maintenance. When a tool breaks or needs sharpning (for example) who pays for it? Do they have tool volunteers or is the library staff expected to do that too.

We are building a new library in my town but no talk about tools. We do have a separate "lend - A - Tool" shed operated by the town with mostly yard tools for the purpose of promoting better looking neighborhoods.

Reply to
pipedown

pipedown wrote: ...

I'm sure it's part of the operating budget of the library. Oakland is a large enough municipality in a high-tax 'n spend environment it's undoubtedly peanuts in the city/county budgets for the libraries, anyway.

Small community, no tools (and doubt if would ever try it), but about everything in the way of mainstream alternate media--books on tape, CD/DVD, video, etc., etc. On Foundation board; it's City, not County so as county resident not eligible to sit on library board itself, unfortunately.

High percentage of popular fiction, of course, but good selection of most genres; virtually any title available through inter-library loan at no cost to patron.

Reply to
dpb

Ours is funded through a block grant. I am assuming there is money in the budget for repairs and replacement.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

It would get me to vote NO. Why should tax dollars be use to lend tools?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski