lawn mower magneto

how do i set the magneto spark gap on a 4hp push mower, is ther a sertain gap or do i just push it up to the magneto magnet

Reply to
raindeeer

Some folks say to use a match book cover... about 0.25.

I don't know the real answer, but you do need a gap and this gap will affect performance.

-- Oren

Oren

BTW, while you can; lightly sand the magnets in the flywheel and also the magneto contacts. Just shine them up a bit. Nothing serious...

-- Oren

Oren

You don't want the parts to scrape.

What oren said.

But it's not a spark gap. There's a gap or space, and it's at the magneto, and it is part of causing the spark, but the spark gap is at the spark plug.

Reply to
mm

I agree with Al. I worked in a small engine shop many years ago and one of the old timers had us use a business card to set the clearance. It was pretty close to the correct gap and a lot easier to use then a feeler gauge.

Reply to
Eric9822