Kitchen Cabinet Refacing--beware Quality Doors from Texas!

I had two orders from quality Doors through HD.

First order, they guys got everything right. They had to track down someone who knows how to create orders. Sold the home so I cannot say how long the material lasts.

Second order, bare oak door (cathedal cut), the guy placed the order wrong. It was entered 32"w x15"h instead of 15"w x32"h. It was bare oak and the door looked solid.

If I use them again, I'd choose bare wood and finish it myself. Also if shipped to the store, call frequently because both times they forgot to call me when it arrived.

Reply to
c_kubie

I'm not far from you in Benbrook, TX, and had a somwhat similar experience with HD when buying my windows.

You learned the same thing I did. Go over the product with a fine tooth comb, in the HD store and don't accept any crap.

Once I got good windows I've been really pleased with them.

Recently I went to HD to buy a door and soon realized that I was getting sucked into this cycle again so, instead, I went up to Sutherland Lumber, Hwy 80 & Cherry Lane, Ft Worth and they had the door I wanted, for about $50.00 less and it was right there, in stock, in the store.

Guess where I'm going next time. :-)

Lewis.

*******************
Reply to
limeylew

Thanks for the heads up. May want to try Rockler

or visit local store. I refaced my bathrooms -- but made my own doors and drawers out of cherry but they should be able to provide better customer service which isn't hard when your competing with HD.

Reply to
Jerry

I just wanted to post a beware warning for Quality Doors, Cedar Hill TX which is the brand carried by Home Depot, and other distributors.

I am refacing my kitchen. The job is going well, but the quality of the finish of the Quality Doors product is poor, and their customer support is even poorer. Here's what I learned:

My first delivery was an experiment to reface the laundry room. 3 large doors were ordered, and the veneer. The doors came to Home Depot packaged very well. When I got home and opened the package, one of the doors had a huge gouge right in the center, looked like somebody dragged something really heavy across the door. I took it back, and Home Depot was reluctant to return it but I ultimately convinced them I didn't gouge the door, that it was done at the factory before packaging and shipping.

Lesson 1: have the doors shipped to your Home Depot. Open them there and inspect for fit and finish. Don't accept the ones that don't meet your quality requirements.

The returned door was replaced with a door with a small finish defect. Since it was in the laundry room, I decided to keep it.

Order 2: 4 standard doors, with no boring and no hinges came through perfecly, no problem. I opened them at Home Depot and they thought I was crazy.

Order 3: 2 large and 2 medium doors for the pantry. One large door came with significant finish blemishes. It was returned by Home Depot. The replacement door came but was not made correctly, one of the vertical stiles was short by about 3/8", making the door look like it was worse than home-made. That door was returned by Home Depot, and I'm still waiting for it's replacement. The Home Depot guy said that he could not believe they would ship such an obvious defect.

Order 4: 14 doors, 12 drawer fronts and 14 doors and veneer. The veneer and hinges weren't in the shipment. 4 doors and 1 drawer front were returned by Home Deopt because of gouge marks in the finish surface. Looks like Quality Doors used dull cutters.

I'm still waiting for the balance of the order so I can complete the refacing project. No hinges and no veneer really holds up progress. Quality Doors of Cedar Hill TX doesn't accelerate the reorder or short shipment, you're put in the same queue and the 4-6 week wait for the replacement product is necessary.

I will say that the good doors and veneer look really good when they're up. Once I get my complete order, the kitcen will look fabulous. Then I guess I'll need to learn to cook.....

Rock

Reply to
Rock