Kenmore Diswasher will not fill

Hi

My Kenmore Dishwahser 665-1563900 will not fill. I disconnected the pipe and there is watter getting to it from the house. and the dishwasher acts like its getting water.

thanks for any suggestions

Reply to
BMzxx

does the float go up and down? it may be just stuck up.

Reply to
chaniarts

Probably a faulty inlet valve but I would check the float first.

Reply to
Jack Hammer

Had to replace the inlet valve on ours. The 115 volt coil had gone open. Always keep a few old ones around from scrapped appliances; for example the inlet valves from clothes washer are often very similar! Except they are doubles (hot and cold) feeds. Also check that the screen, if there is one in the hose fitting attaching to the valve is not filled up with debris from the water supply. IIRC a complete new valve was about $25, it may be possible to just exchange the coil with dismounting the whole valve. If the coil has not gone open then it may be something electrical (perhaps contacts on the timer switch) so necessary to figure out the circuit and troubleshoot it; dependent on the skills of the OP. On an older DW we had trouble when the over-fill had stuck in the 'up' position due to scum and debris around it's stem. So the dishwasher thought it was already full of water, would not refill or cycle properly! Cleaning it allowed the float switch to drop down and everything went normal! It's usually best to just squat by the machine and figure out what is happening (or rather NOT happening!) before starting on any repair!

Reply to
terry

Thanks. This is all nice to know.

Reply to
Jack Hammer

It's also great to have a diagram of the mechanisms handy.

FWIW, this is a site that I find invaluable. It has diagrams for most major appliances. I've bought from them before and the price and service is also good.

Nonny