More education desired on concrete driveway spalling

So I live in Michigan ..snow/ice 4 to 5 months/year. My newly re-made from-the-ground-up driveway is about 4-years old and has noticeable spalling.

Can that be "resurfaced"? Would that be just a 'skim coat' or does it need to be a number of inches thick?

Should I have tried to 'seal' the surface in some fashion? Can I do so now and reduce future spalling?

We had a stamped/colored patio installed at the same time and the (same) contractor sealed that with some sort of 'wet look' chemical. Still looks new.

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Reply to
jbry3

you can clean the suface as good as possible, and seal. it wouldnt fix the old spalling but should dramatically slow additional spalling.

apply the sealer liberally, and leave it sit at least 24 hours. I have used thompsons water seal but it appears to be reformulated, for low VOC but not as good:(

It darkens the surface some but prevents water absorbation, which combined with freezing causes spalling.

ideally replace the concrete, adding a layer will not last long espically where it freezes

Reply to
hallerb