Katrina question

If you really think this administration will ask the oil cartel to pay for anything, I have great deals on beach front properties you would love to own...

Remember, these are the same people who cut gov funding for flood prevention programs in Alabama and somewhere else, from what I hear.

Of course this was after they cut taxes. I got a $300 refund years ago and about the same reduction yearly. Can't even start to count how many times I have spent that "tax reduction" in local taxes increases and higher prices on just about everything, from milk to home insurance.

Guess who will have to pay to rebuild what Katrina destroyed? I am ready to do my part, but I don't expect what you suggest to happen.

Reply to
Dumbo

Mebbe so, but the gas in the tanks at the individual gas stations has already been paid for. Raising prices due to calamity on the existing, already-been-paid-for supply is pretty much the definition of gouging.

RicodJour

....Snip incoherent rambling...

As has been pointed out ad infinitum, oil (and gasoline) are traded on open mercantile markets...oil is bought/sold there, at market prices.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

He's watching CNN like you should be. Got any home repair topics to discuss, genius?

Reply to
G Henslee

Yup, "market prices" that magic, uncontrollable, all powerful force, that determines the price. Much of it is determined by a handful of oil companies that run the world's oil supply. No one tells them to lower oil prices much less tells them to raise the prices. They charge what they can get away with. After all would we want their management to have to forgo their multi million dollar bonuses for increasing the bottom line for this quarter!

Reply to
EXT

The consumer (us) have a fari amount of influence on commodity prices. My wife & I were going to drive ~700 miles ove the labor weekend but decided not to go because of $3/gallon gas.

If more people did this gas (& oil prices) would fall.

Carpool only onje or two days a week, take the bus Combine trips, forgo trips, etc

Small changes by all of us can make a big difference.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Pray, God will solve all our problems. BTW, where is God Now?

Reply to
Dave Jefford

Actually gasoline is also traded on the exchanges...

It tracks oil (obviously) in pretty close lock-step. At the pump prices are affected by local and federal taxes, transportation, and regional and local requirements for specific additives/mixtures for environmental (mostly) purposes, and competition.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

In article , snipped-for-privacy@southwestx.net says... :) Pray, God will solve all our problems. BTW, where is God Now? :) Those who believe would say he is in the heart's of those lined up giving blood, money, opening up their homes and volunteering their time for the needy.

Reply to
Lar

Hey, watchya asking for that beachfront? I don't know if they were asked, but the Saudi Refining Co. just donated 5 million for relief.

CR

Reply to
CR

I have a simple question just my observation. You see all the destruction the confusion witch is to be expected in a disaster this size. The question are flying, the blame is being pointed. We are seeing are government talking, predicting telling what an impact it all is ( there's a no brainier)Well hear is my question The same as everyone else's Why is the aid and help taking so long? Why don't they just ask the oil Co. to help ? They are fast the wasted no time raising oil prices. Fox News "State Attorney General Bill Lockyer on Friday launched a probe into possible price gouging by gas and oil companies following Hurricane Katrina." Well I'll sleep better now, somebody's on it.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Who, specifically is "gouging"? Something approaching 25% of the US supply of refined petroleum products was lost for an indefinite period and you expect the markets to not reflect that in an already tight world market?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Of course, make money while you can. The rich will get richer and let those who can't pay, walk!

God take care of the rich who can pay only.

Reply to
Dave Jefford

If you really think this administration will ask the oil cartel to pay for anything, I have great deals on beach front properties you would love to own...

I don't think they would get a dime frome them. My point was they could show them how get it done fast. But then in the administration wisdom and thinking They will Tax the Tobaco CO.. (I'm not a smoker) What the hell they tax them for everything else.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

What do you expect the station's owner / operator to pay for the replacement fuel with. The price of what they are selling now must cover the cost of what they will buy to replace it.

Reply to
HorneTD

Don't confuse the price of a barrel of oil with the price at the pump. The former is set on world markets. The latter is manipulated by the supply chain. The price of a barrel goes up 10% and the price at the pump goes up 25%. Look at the fraction of the pump price that actually reflects the cost of oil and then realize the the other costs are largely fixed in the short term and it's pretty obvious that the pump price is theft. And as another poster pointed out - the oil in the supply chain is already paid for - at lower prices.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

The money that they have made from previous transactions. Do you think gas stations don't make profits.

On the flip side, when the wholesalers drop their prices, the gas staions will be a lot slower lowering prices. They will have made a lot more money and will pocket the difference.

Reply to
FDR

The same people bitching about oil prices will look at their 401k at the end of the year and think it is wonderful because the companies they hold make lots of profit.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

They can use money and credit like every other business in the word does.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Did someone call me ?

Couldn't tell you where GOD is. But I thank him for giving me the common sense not to live in a hole with a few dirt mounds keeping the ocean out of my living room

AMUN

Reply to
Amun