Jacuzzi problem - shuts off

I've got an older (10 yrs) Jacuzzi brand hot tub, 7'x7'. I believe it's a model 280, probably sold at Home Depot type stores. After running for about 2 hours, it shuts down, and the only light on the control panel blinks once/second. It cannot be turned back on without cycling the main power. Then it runs, heats up etc for another 2 hours or so. The control panel is basic, a rotary knob for temp control, a red LED, and a membrane push button switch that cycles between 4 settings on each push (high, low, high/low with light). Does not appear to have an off position. A call to Jacuzzi tech was no help. Local hot tub/pool vendors have no idea, and cannot assist. Any ideas? Could this be a temp switch/sensor? Do I have a pressure sensor on this model? Could the circuit board be bad?

Reply to
buckwheat_phd

i would start my trouble shooting 1st:when you start up the unit, take the heater uot of the pic. if you can unplug it do it, and turn the temp knob as far off as poss. Wait for your blinking light signal... I would bet the farm that your problem is gonna be in your heater system. pressure sw. shouldn't be a suspect, because your problem occurs after it's been ruuning for a while,and the pump isn't gonna pump less water after time it will remain constant.and if the filter were clogged restricting flow, it would restrict from the time you started the unit. So anyways look into the heat system. Maybe you should look at if there is a scale build up inside the heater. or the element may need replacing

Reply to
playintennis5274

======================= I pretty much agree with the above... BUT what I can not understand is why the original posters Hot Tub/ dealers/vendors do not have a service department or at least the name of an independent service man who services hot tuibs in the local area...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Excellent advice! I'll pull the heater element and see if there's anything obvious. Regarding local help, Jacuzzi first told me that although a Jacuzzi branded tub, they [Jacuzzi] claims they did not make it. They referred me to another mfgr in Florida, who had no idea who made the tub. In any case I ran into a wall with both sources. I've called a few locals, but not many are geared for on-site diagnostics and repair. Most are heavy on new tub sales, which I was offered to replace mine for $7k thus fixing my problem. But thanks anyway - I'll pull the heater and report back to the group...

Reply to
buckwheat_phd