Is There An Electrician in the House?

It's not.

More than a union "thing" it's more of a "brotherhood" thing: You burned the crap outta (or killed) my buddy, yours is gonna be the LAST service restored.

You can then expect all manner of "fun and games" from the utility's legal department, just for starters. They WON'T, however, "never" reconnect the service. They'll just bury you in so much bullsh*t following the accident that you'll hire a licensed unionist electrician to install a transfer switch

- and wish you had done so earlier.

I honestly believe that everyone participating in this contentious topic has the KNOWLEDGE and smarts enough to OPEN the main breaker or pull the meter. It's the plethora of clueless DIY'ers out there buying generators "just in case" that are cause for concern.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Sho'ly, sho'ly.

I switch the MAIN off, and pull the meter. Start the generator, and

30A jumps thru thin air, once in the breaker circuit, a second time in the meter socket. Runs out thru the power lines and kills some po' lineman.

It'd have to perform magic only once to close the external circuit with your safety switch ...

Any lineman could glance at the empty meter socket and KNOW for certain that "juice floweth not" from the house to the lines.

Face it. 30% of lineman injuries are due to simple carelessness. Near 70% are related to the insane conditions that ensue when the utility's grids fail massively for one reason or another.

"They Have Seen The Enemy And He Is Them!" to paraphrase Walt Kelly.

Puddin' (at home, always all by his lonesome)

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Those are the clueless DIY'ers who are dropping like flies from CO for running their generators in their living rooms in the PNW...

Reply to
Pete C.

Illiteracy (or is it unwillingness to read instructions?) takes its toll ...

Reply to
CJT

Cite one instance, please, in which a lineman has been killed by a backfed generator when the service disconnect was OFF.

(Not holding my breath waiting...)

Yes, I understand there is a potential for serious danger. No, I'm *not* advocating backfeeding service-entrance panels without a transfer switch. I'm just pointing out that it's not automatically going to kill a lineman.

Reply to
Doug Miller

OK, how about listing some of the ones you consider more likely? Do you

*really* think that pulling the meter is *not* a secure means of disconnecting from the utility?

You don't have to be "perfect" -- you just have to get it right. Fer cryin' out loud, man, how hard *is* it for you to throw the main breaker?

Sheesh.

Reply to
Doug Miller

OK, fine, they arose from _other_people's_ imaginations. Point remains that you apparently have not yet learned to distinguish between real and imaginary hazards.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some DIY'er somewhere had turned the main breaker "off" (having been warned of the dangers) and then hooked up to the wrong side of it. Why, wondered he, was the generator so hard to start, and why didn't his lights come on?

Reply to
CJT

I sure would be surprised if that happened... and if it did, I'd expect even the dullest person to figure out why it wasn't working.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Usually. But Linemen make mistakes, too. And the time they're most likely to make mistakes is during the Nth day of a long term outage, which is conveniently also the time when people are most likely to (A) be running generators, and (B) be getting sloppy about it.

Reply to
Goedjn

You keep saying that. You keep telling us that you always pull the meter, and shut the main breaker off.

YOU may think you'll get it right, but you've already demonstrated, by not putting in the switch, that your judgment cannot be trusted. So don't expect anyone to agree with you.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

Clearly you have never worked a customer service desk.

Reply to
Goedjn

Pulling the meter *and* doing the lockout-tagout thing would be pretty secure.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Hah! That's the best one I've read today!

Thanks

Reply to
lwasserm

In THAT case, I'm a huge believer in Darwin's theory...

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

I already did.

Apparently you didn't read what I wrote. [whole sentence deleted].

And don't leave out the EVERY SINGLE TIME part.

[needless repetition deleted]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

And all storms fully respect bonding-to-ground.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

This is a big enough place that a lot of things really do happen.

And, of course, a healthy imagination is a good thing. It helps you prevent real disasters.

Then there's that real big imaginary hazard that more than half of Americans claim to worry about....

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The installation you describe is only lawful and safe if the interlock was installed pursuant to the local electrical code and the installation was checked very carefully with appropriate test equipment against the existence of sneak current paths back to the utility side of the main breaker such as a second meter or utility remote control for water heating or air conditioning.

Reply to
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

To render it safe would take a double block and break consisting of opening the main breaker followed by a utility person removing your meter and locking the meter enclosure to prevent the installation of meter shunts. That way both parties would have to make the same mistake in order to jeopardize the outside wiremen who are working to restore the power.

Reply to
Tom Horne, Electrician