Is there a better way (than this) to clean this pleated pool filter?

I found this based on the advice so far:

Here's a picture of the thing in action:

Arklin K.

I think you should be spraying from the inside facing out, not on the outside facing inward. Also, some detergent mixed in with the water might loosen things up a little easier. Or, soak it overnight in a mixture of water, bleach, and detergent and then flush it. Sounds like it got too bad before you started worrying about it.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Anyone else think it's funny that this inground pool that has 20 Jandy valves, a spa, a fancy built-in self cleaning system and a plumbing system that looks like a kludge is using a cartridge filter? Man, whoever built this was special.... I would have spend less money on valves and bought a DE filter.

Reply to
trader4

I think that's the 'real' problem!

Reply to
Arklin K.

Next time it's going to be something like that, whichever is most efficient overall.

Reply to
Arklin K.

I saw Oren's response and he is right - this pool is in the Silicon Valley.

But I don't understand the difference between WHEN you'd put in a cartridge versus some other type of filter.

Is the cartridge generally for a smaller pool?

Reply to
Arklin K.

UPDATE:

I ordered the 8-fingered wand but of course it will never arrive in time. So I spent another hour cleaning the filters with the garden hose, spreading the pleats one by one by hand. I started counting, but at about

200 or so I lost count and just gave up.

My reasoning was that the algae was gonna start again so I'd better get the filtration going - so I put both filters back in and started it up.

Of course, there's ANOTHER problem (see separate thread) ... but I do very much appreciate all the help because you guys, collectively, are like having a great team of professionals helping all of us!

Thanks!

Reply to
Arklin K.

BTW, I didn't snap a picture of it but that vent was totally clogged with gunk when I first opened the tank up.

I'm not sure, based on that, which DIRECTION the air goes because the gunk on the OUTSIDE of the screen implies the flow is from the top of the tank to the bottom.

But, if it was an air vent, the flow would (I would guess) be from the bottom to the top.

So, unfortunately, I'm still confused about what it is that goes into that little tube. Sorry for being dense.

Reply to
Arklin K.

Yes. SPAS and smaller pools. Depends on the environment too. A small pool with little debris, low load, etc is best suited. If it gets to be a pain because you have to clean/replace the filters too often you could switch to a DE filter. But that would require having room for it and being able to plumb it into that mess. It would probably make sense to consider only if you're going to redo that plumbing nightmare.

Reply to
trader4

The air will tend to collect in the top of the tank, the vent allows it to escape and go on out to the pool.

Reply to
gfretwell

Oh. Hmmm... I guess the air that collects at the top of the tank gets sucked from the filter screen at top, down into the thin pipe, into the bottom of the filter, where it then flows back out to the pool.

Interesting setup! Thanks for explaining it!

Reply to
Arklin K.

Thanks for the advice. I think I have plenty of room. I'm not sure 'why' they packed it all so tightly as they had plenty of room to spread things out.

For example, they put all the pipes coming and going in a single line. I would have staggered these pipes because the way they are, they had to add elbows all over the place to get around each other.

I was able to eliminate one elbow in my recent repair, but, notice I still had to add two wasted elbows on the new white PVC pipe which I wouldn't have had to add if the pipes were simply staggered six inches coming out of the ground:

A simple double line would have saved a dozen elbows (each of which restricts flow).

Does anyone have pictures of 'their' pool setup by way of comparison?

Reply to
Arklin K.

Next time, I think what I'll do is use the tri-sodium phosphate (or dish detergent) and soak the filters while they're still inside the bubble.

That would soak the bottom half.

Then, I think, I can flip them and soak the other half.

Then I can wash them in or out of the bubble.

Lesson learned for next time!

Today I'll be fixing the myriad leaks in the lousy Fafco solar panels!

Reply to
Arklin K.

Actually I did try the 45s but I couldn't get the angles right so I went with the elbows. Sigh.

Reply to
Arklin K.

The larger filter diameter is pretty big.

Let me google for the diameter given the part numbers: Sta-Rite System 3 Model S8M150, 259 sqft cartridge 25022-0203S 191 sqft cartridge #25021-0202S Total = 450 sqft filter@0.28gpm/sqft = 125 gpm@50psi max.

OK. It looks like it's 18 inches in diameter and 20 inches long:

Large Filter (25022-0203): 259 Sq.Ft , Diameter: 18.25", Length: 20-1/8" Small Filter (25021-0202S): 259 Sq.Ft , Diameter: 25.5", Length: 12.5"

That's a big bucket! :)

Reply to
Arklin K.

Wow. Mine is 20 psi at the start!

I think they use tri sodium phosphate - whatever that is. Googling, some said dish detergent works too.

Reply to
Arklin K.