Insulating the ceiling of a garage

I have a raised ranch. The garage is located under the master bedroom and another bedroom. The master bedroom is one of the coldest spots in the house in the winter. I'm going to add an additional layer of insulation in the attic, over the entire top floor of the house. However, I would also like to add some extra insulation on the garage's ceiling.

I was thinking of adding something like this:

to the ceiling of the garage. My questions are: Does this have to be covered by drywall? Or can I just put it up and tape it?

Personally, I would add the two inch stuff, just to get increased R value. The only locations it appears that I could not add the insulation would be above the garage door openers and the tracks for the openers. I would have to cut the insulation around this.

Reply to
Bob M

I believe the other responders are right on. The pink board needs to be covered usually with drywall. Insulating the door is an excellent way to improve the garage climate. I did my door in Arizona last year and could not believe the difference it made.

Why not cut a hole in the garage ceiling and see what is up there now. Something small patched easily.

Check with blown insulation contractors about your attic, and garage ceiling. They do this every day. I just added R-30 to my home, cut the a/c cycling and run times by a third. Cost $350 less than buying the stuff at the box store. ( 1000 sqft )

Reply to
SQLit

I did not see any details on the web site, but I would bet that you will need fire rated drywall over this stuff.

I suggest you may want to insulate that outside walls, especially if they have open framing now. That and insulated doors can mean not only a warmer floor to your master, but a warmer garage as well.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It is made from a fire retardant material, but it still needs to be covered by code. What is in the ceiling now? It should have some insulation but in the rasre case it is not, you can blow some in.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good point. Unfortunately, that's a job! I might be able to do the ceiling in a day or two, but insulating the outside walls of the garage would mean taking out all the drywall, adding insulation, and then putting drywall on again. That's a bit much for me at this point, though something I will consider in the future.

Reply to
Bob M

I believe it has insulation, but it's still cold on that side of the house.

Reply to
Bob M

That's a good point. I could have insulation blown in the attic. The only detriment would be that I currently store a ton of boxes up there. However, it would be a heck of a lot easier for me to have someone blow insulation in than for me to lug a bunch of insulation up there.

Reply to
Bob M

Nope, drill a hole, blow in insulation, plug hole. This is done very day by pros.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski