Installing SS chimney liner

I want to install a Stainless steel chimney liner in my exterior masonry chimney for my new high efficiency oil boiler. Boiler vent pipe is 6" dia. Chimney interior is 7"x10".

The boiler installer said I need to install a tee section _inside_ the chimney where the vent pipe (from the boiler) meets the chimney so that gases can go up and any condensate can drip down into the existing chimney cleanout below. He said to break out a section of the chimney around the existing vent pipe opening in order make enough space to insert the tee. Does this sound right?

If so, is there any special type of mortar I should use to repair opening?

Thanks for the advice.

-Theodore

Reply to
vasilica_1

Is that 6" dia inside or out? Because if it's a 6" i.d. [inside dimension] it won't fit in your chimney.

Why not have the boiler installer install your new flue? Let him worry about all the problems you're going to run into.

Reply to
Zyp

6" dia inside. I tried with some leftover I had (from lining the adjacent fireplace chimney) and it fits, but it gets a bit tight. Boiler installer installs only boilers and nothing more.

I just thought his idea of breaking out the chimney masonry at the base is a bit unusual. I never heard of it.

Reply to
millinghill

Doh! If it fits a bit tight with just trying some leftover pieces, it would seem to me the chances of getting this through the entire length of the chimney is not good. And suppose it gets half way and gets stuck? It's not like a tailpipe, where you can beat it with a hammer and drive it on. This is one of those jobs where unless it fit freely, I would not even attempt it.

Reply to
trader4

Point taken. Perhaps this one's better left for an installer.

That being said, I'm still curious about the whole breaking the chimney wall thing. Should I expect this (i.e. clear out basement around boiler and prepare for a big dusty mess in the boiler room?) If so, I'd rather not do in the dead of winter.

Thanks for the advice.

-Theodore

Reply to
vasilica_1

wouldnt you of been better off buying a direct vent boiler that needed no chimney? probably higher efficency too.....

even when the boiler is off its venting your heated air out the chimney 24/7

Reply to
hallerb

For the record, after seaching a while more I answered my own question:

"break out sufficient masonry to form a hole large enough for the Mortar Sleeve or Flex Liner to pass through easily. If a Tee application is necessary, a larger hole may be required."

Reply to
vasilica_1