chimney liner, gas furance

What a rip off. 10$ a foot. An aluminum expandable 4? dia, pipe for a liner. Now (NYS) required to line the chimney when you replace the (90%+) furnace with a direct (PVC) vent. Because the chimney will not have both furnace and hot water tank using the flue, the moisture content could deteriorate the flue. :-( Well during the summer months the furnace isn?t using the flue either, and the flue has been fine for over 50 years. Probably longer than that accordion aluminum pipe will last?

Reply to
TP

As of last fall, you were not required to use a liner. RG&E said one was not necessary when I put my HighE furnace in because it was already tiled and ran up through the center of the house.

Anyhow, you miss the reason for a liner. In the summer the humidity from the water heater just goes up the chimney. In the winter it can chill and condense before it get out. Being acidic, it can attack the chimney.

And if I recall correctly, the liner was supposed to be SS. One company said they alway use liners, one said they never use liners, and the other 2 did inspections and measurements and said I didn't need one.

I was happy with my installation, if you want a recommendation; though I still wonder if I should have used a liner.

Reply to
toller

Hi TP, hope you are having a nice day

On 29-Sep-04 At About 21:11:08, TP wrote to All Subject: chimney liner, gas furance

T> From: TP

T> :-( Well during the T> summer months the furnace isn?t using the flue either, and the flue T> has been fine for over 50 years. Probably longer than that accordion T> aluminum pipe will last?

Yes, but during the summer months it isn't cold outside which means there isn't much of a chance for condensation.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2