Installing toilet flange on tile floor

I'm a bit perplexed as to how to install a toilet flange on a tile floor. I bought a flange that will fit inside the pipe coming out of the floor. The problem is I have to cut the pipe. I can only think of using a hacksaw but that will still leave at least 1/4 inch of pipe raised above the floor. The flange also has a bit of a taper to it on the inside where it will meet the pipe which will raise it an additional 1/4 inch. Any advice?

Reply to
Mike E. Fullerton

Redo the pipe if it is abs cut it further back in the basement and redo it back up to the flange, then use hub flange[ type that goe's over pipe] as it will give you full opening, Spigot type shrink opening and lead to pluged toilets. If on concrete chip some of the concrete away from the edge of pipe to do the same thing get flange level with floor quarter of inch above or below floor hieght max.

Reply to
jim

Most toilets can accomodate a flange that sits a little bit above the floor. If you look on the bottom of your toilet, its recessed in at least 1/2"-1". Before you do extra work, cut the pipe, put the flange over it, and try out the toilet. If the toilet is sitting flush with the floor, you good. I have done a few toilets this way. By the way what kind of pipe is coming up through the floor? Lead, cast iron, PVC?

Reply to
Mikepier

I forgot to mention this bathroom is in the basement. To use a hub flange I'm going to have to chip out the tile as well as the cement around the pipe. If so shouldn't the plumber have put the hub flange in before I tiled? He put the pipe in.

The pipe is PVC.

Thanks both of you for the help.

Reply to
Mike E. Fullerton

Mike,

When I plumbed our house, I installed threaded adapters in the line below the toilet. Then once the floor was finished, I marked where the pipe needed to be cut, and unscrewed the pipe. I then took it out and cut it to the length I needed, and screwed it back into place. It was simple to install the flange after that. You could do the same thing with a Fernco style adapter if you have access under the floor.

In your case, it sounds like the PVC pipe is cast into the concrete floor. If it's a 4" pipe, you should be fine with the type of flange that fits inside the pipe. If it's a 3" pipe, I would use the flange that fits over the outside of the pipe to ensure maximum flow.

Do you have a rotary tool? If so, I would think you could mark the desired height around the inside of the pipe, then "Carefully" use a cutting wheel to cut the pipe to the desired height. It'll be slow hard work, but it's the only option I can think of at the moment.

If you need to use a flange that fits over the pipe, you'll need to chip or cut the concrete or tile away to make room for the flange. It doesn't necessarily have to be pretty, as the toilet will cover the area. Just don't chip so much away that the toilet flange has nothing to rest on. Maybe use a masonry or tile bit to drill a series of holes around the pipe and clean up the loose pieces with a chisel and shop vac.

Good luck,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband