Grinder pump vs. sewage pump for basement

I'm considering finishing my basement and would need to install a pump and pit to eject sewage up to house drain level (about 5ft above basement floor) to dispose of sewage from a planned bathroom and kitchenette.

I've seen pumps that grind (macerate) sewage, and pumps that claim to pass solids of 2" to 3". Any suggestions on which is more durable? Better for residential? All opinions appreciated.

-Richard

Reply to
millinghill

For what you're doing you want a macerator. Also be sure the plumber connects the discharge from the pit after the main house trap, it it's connected before the trap, it'll blow the water clean out of the trap

Reply to
RBM

What's the purpose of the other type then? I see the non-macerating sewage pumps at HomeDepot from time to time and wonder why they sell as a residential item.

Reply to
millinghill

They're fine for effluent or gray water

Reply to