Sewage pump question

I am helping a friend fix up his detatched garage and we want to put in a toilet. It is on a slab, so will build a raised floor just high enough for the pipe to elbow out thru the back wall of he garage. If I can put a sewage pump outside right there, the pump discharge line will run about 30' , make a 45, then about another 20', then up about 3' into a sewer connection. All of that line will be pretty much horizontal. FWIW, it is probably not going to get a lot of use, but will be one of those things that when it is needed, will be worth a fortune. I called Northern, and they say they have a pump setup ready to go ( pump, reservoir, float switch, check valve etc) for about $250, though I have not had a chance to go by and look at it. Any comments/suggestions. We first thought of doing a mini septic system for the toilet, but this way seems easier and probably better, and worth the money for the pump. It is in a semi rural area, so no codes/inspections, just want something that works. Thanks Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

on 12/21/2007 10:21 AM lp13-30 said the following:

Does he get freezing cold winters? Is it a heated garage? If the former and not the latter, water in the toilet trap may freeze and crack the toilet.

Reply to
willshak

Thanks for the reply. I thought about that after I posted. This is near Corpus Christi, Tx, so freezing is not a big concern. Thanks Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

The length of the laterals is not nearly as important as the total lift. Make sure the pump is rated for the lift you need.

Depending on your situation, you might want to check into getting an overflow alarm system with the tank. If possible, the alarm should be plugged into a different breaker than the one the pump is on and/or have battery backup.

FYI - Most of these pumps use 2" pipes on the discharge. Also the tank should have a vent pipe.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

Why go thru all that trouble? Use a Saniflow. They kick ass!

Brian V

dont forget doing a good job or at home resale time YUK home inspectors love unusual stuff like this..........

it justifys their fees.

Reply to
hallerb

Thanks for the replies. I wll look into Saniflow, but it looks like it is probably out of their league budgetwise. The 2" line will be nearly horizontal for probably 50 something feet, and the go verically about 3, so lift on the pump should not be a problem. As Hallerb mentioned about home inspection/resale, the house is a POS that is right on the borderline between better to bulldoze or fix up. The plan is to fix part of the very large and much newer garage into a small efficiency type apt, that they can stay in and fix the house up gradually, as time and especially money permit. They have only had the place about 1 1/2 years--the garage was already there. I do not know what they paid for it, but they mainly bought it for the property. Thanks again Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

A worthwhile idea.

If you're not a complete stuffed shirt, =A0dig a hole just outside 2' x

4' x 6' deep. Install a suitable structure over it with a built in seat with tidy covered 14" oval hole. Put in a nice reading rack and cut a neat crescent moon shaped vent in the door. Plan to move it a few feet left or right every five years or so and don't omit the fly swatter. Total cost under $30. And your carbon foot print is near zero.

Joe

Reply to
Joe