DIY stainless steel chimney liner installation

I need to replace my fireplace flue, and have gotten a couple of estimates to have a stainless steel flexible liner installed ranging from $1500 to almost $3000. I wondered if this is a job I could do myself.

There are a number of companies online that will sell the stainless liner, insulating material, T connector and chimney cap for around a thousand dollars (35' of 6" liner). Has anyone ever done this job? Did you have a good or bad experience? What tricks did you learn?

Thanks. BC

Reply to
BCDrums

A lot depends on whether the chimney is straight up and down, or has one or more bends, one-story or two story, etc. Can you look up and see daylight when the damper is open?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Your insurance company may have an opinion on this point. Some nowadays require that installations be made by a licensed technician (not just that they pass Fire Code inspection on completion.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

AFAIK, there is no such thing as a licensed chimney installer where I live. Nor has any insurance company that I've had ever asked about my woodstove installation and it is listed in the house description. They would not know if I made any changes or repairs.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I hope that does not spread here, but it probably will.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's a two story chimney plus another 6' into the basement. I have not pulled the furnace duct off the T connection at the wall, but I cannot see daylight up the fireplace flue. It has a top-damper on it, and a screen cap above that, which might kill enough light not to be able to see all the way up.

I have thought about putting a video camera and small flashlight on a tape measure and lowering it down the chimney to see what's what.

AT

Reply to
BCDrums

I haven't removed the furnace duct to attempt to see up the flue, but I can't see daylight through the fireplace flue. That may have to do with the top-damper and the cap above it, or maybe there's a bend in the flue.

The chimney is two stories with another 6' down to the basement.

Reply to
BCDrums

With a fireplace and furnace you would need two liners, no? I'm about to install one for my water heater. Looks pretty straightforward to me. But with mine I have the water heater exhaust to connect to. I have no idea how you connect the liner to the top of a fireplace?

Reply to
trader4

I think that Nanny state nonsense originated here

Reply to
RBM

I agree. That's essentially what I;'m doing except I have to mate mine up to the water heater and mine will be 4". I guess for a furnace the liner will be larger diameter.

Reply to
trader4