Inserting a tee here?

Hi,

What issues will I face trying to put a tee here and what should I do to overcome them?

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Depends on what is in the pipes, and how much pressure it is under. A Tee could be as easy as taking a sawzall and cutting out an inch or so & putting in a compression Tee, or as complicated as cutting out enough (exactly) for a union, nipple and Tee and threading the cut off ends.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Define "here".

I see three pipes and no indication of where you want to put the tee.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had much the same thought.

That said, the red painted device is called a union. A union is used when it's not practical to unthread everything back to the appliance, to thread things back together. Unions consist of two pieces, plus a threaded nut that tightens and loosens. To replace a union with a tee is going to be essentially impossible.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Since you are asking and havent a clue, I would assume you will face a mountain of issues. The way you can overcome them is to get your crowbar out, pry open your wallet with it and pay a professional to do the job which you dont know how to do. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Didn't bother to look at the pictures, but if there's one union already, inserting a piece containing a tee and another union shouldn't be too much of a trick unless there's no length available.

Reply to
dpb

Is this related to your earlier "Moving a gas dryer 20 feet" posts?

Reply to
alta47

No problem. Take apart the union, take off one pipe, cut 5-6" off it, rethread it with your ratchet threader, and use short nipples to get the union back in place. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Thanks!

It was my first time threading and doing it in-place was a pain, and took a hell of a lot longer than 20 minutes, but the results are good.

Bubba, perhaps you don't live in Philly, but local plumbers were asking $350-$500 for the job.

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Nope, dont live in Philly and cant say Ive ever wanted to. Did you ever think that there might be a reason you were getting estimates from $350 - $500? Driving a fully stocked, insured company truck to you home and doing the job, warrantying it and protecting themselves with liability insurance doesnt exactly come cheap these days. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Simply replacing a union with a tee is impossible.

Just have to crank out a length of pipe, and replace it with two shorter lengths, a union, and a tee.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, then, crank out the length of pipe. Take it outdoors, and chain it to your pipe table.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

DOH!

_ASSUMING_ there's room in the run for something to be added, that there's a union there already would make it pretty simple to cut in the tee. That's what I said.

Again, jeesh!!!!

--

Reply to
dpb

Wow! Never would have tried to do it in place. Love my Rigid Tri- Stand for that sort of thing. Glad to hear it worked on for you anyway.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake