Inserting a tee in a 1/2" water line

Hi,

When cutting into a 1/2" water line to install a tee, what length should one cut out? I took my measurements and it seems like about an inch, but I decided to ask anyway. The pipe I'm cutting into has a turn, so I'm guessing I have some flexibility. Also, I presume it's a good idea to remove slight less than necessary than slightly more than necessary.

Thanks!

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

If there is some movement in the pipe I only make one cut.

Reply to
jim

Are you talking about copper tube (5/8" od x ~1/2" id) or galvanized pipe?

If it is copper tube & you have will have enough play after the tube is cut out about 1/2" to 5/8" (that's the approximate distance between seated tube ends in a Tee)

repair the system by installing the Tee and two copper street elbows......the mechanical fit up will be easy if yoy get about 1/2" or so of offset.

Once you get the fittings ready to install....... how it goes together will be evident.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

You see how far the pipe will seat into the tee? Hold the tee against where you want to put it and mark the pipe at the seat bottoms of the tee. Simple enough. About 3/4 of an inch.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Maybe Elmer Fude is a busy handy man?

Reply to