Inclinator question

My ex-wife is on total disability and is essentially trapped in her finished basement. (Her arthritic 87 year old Mom lives upstairs and can't handle the stairs either.) She can't handle the stairs without risking a fall. I did some research on Inclinator and some other brands, and the prices aren't out of the question for her, but apparently they are only sold direct via the manufacturers. At least, there are no dealers here in Salt Lake City.

If she were to buy one of these, what kind of craftsman would you look for to install it, since there's mechanical installation as well as wiring? What would you think would be a reasonable charge?

Bob

Just your basic flake, and official Old Fart!

Reply to
Bob Landry

My folks have 2 if you mean chair lifts. Im sure there are dealers in your area of different brands. We went battery power, consider used, a factory install. I calculated once that these are so well made that theirs has gone maybe 20 miles. it goes 30 ft with a curved staircase. These need no craftsmans to install, just big bolts secured real well and to studs, I have taken one in and out to get a boiler down the basement in about 10 minutes. Getting the chair on I have never done. The 120v units have a power cord to wear out since it coils up. The only thing they have needed is a drive belt and batteries.

Reply to
ransley

I would look for used on Craigslist or other site. Not to be cold but as you said the ex-MIL is 87, how long do people who get these installed need them.

I remember as a kid my Grandmother having one and IIRC it was just screwed to the wall and plugged in.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Wasn't clear, I guess, it's not for the ex-MIL but for the ex-wife who is only

  1. Couple of good answers, hadn't thought of used/craigslist. Thanks!

Bob

Just your basic flake, and official Old Fart!

Reply to
Bob Landry

I installed one for the parents of a friend several years ago and repaired it this summer after a bozo replaced the battery in it and broke it. The unit they bought was manufactured in England and works well. It was simple to install so anyone with good handyman skills can install one. Their unit runs on a battery that recharges automatically when it parks at the top or bottom of the stairs. The only wiring involved was the low voltage pair inside the track tube and hooking up a low voltage wall wart (plug in transformer). The chair also has an infrared remote control that can be used to call the chair from either end of the stairs. Here's a link:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas