PVC railing questions

I plan on making a change (per the bride) this weekend to my from steps. T= hey are currently on the side of the front porch, but she would like them c= entered in the front so we can sit on either side and she can see her garde= n.

Anyway, these are some pics of the current layout:

As you can see it is all procell/azek/pvc. It doesn't appear to be that di= fficult and in fact I may be able to use quite a bit of the current railing= s. Essentially I will remove the steps from the current location and place= them in the middle of the front (that is about an 8ft span. Then cut out =

4 ft of railing and move it to the side where the steps currently are. I'l= l have to buy a couple of posts to anchor each side of what is left of the = front railings, and one more to anchor the side.

But I can't see how to disassemble the railings. There are no clips so I th= ing the top comes off somehow to get at them. People have told me they sli= de off, but of course I can't do that as they are currently terminated at p= osts.

So if anybody has any sage advice for this project I would greatly apprecia= te it.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

jtp,

Most manufacturers have installation videos on their web-sites. YouTube also has installation videos. Not only sage advice but thymely, too

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

Tell your bride to STFU and watch DIYNetwork.

She'll see there are women there that can actually remodel their own frickin porches, kitchens and bathrooms.

I suspect it would be absolute heaven to be married to Amy Matthews. Her husband is a very lucky man. ;-)

Reply to
Joe

Um, Dave, do you have a lisp? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm waiting till he gets to cinammonly advice, and then I'll buy.

On the other thand, there mutht be thumthing to that whith thou sayeth.

.

Um, Dave, do you have a lisp? o_O

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've never worked with this kind of thing.

You could ask at the hardware store, bring some pictures along.

.

[...]

Yeah, sure. Then I'd be putting in a wheelchair ramp instead of stairs.

Problem with Amy is as soon as she put that tool belt on I'd do whatever she asked.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

I cooked some rice last night and put some ground sage in it. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm married to her a couple times a week. She doesn't know about it tho. :>)))

Reply to
Bob123

An 1835 Typographical Error:

"The supplies for the General Store will be arriving on the 6:00 sage coach."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

=A0They are currently on the side of the front porch, but she would like th= em centered in the front so we can sit on either side and she can see her g= arden.

t difficult and in fact I may be able to use quite a bit of the current rai= lings. =A0Essentially I will remove the steps from the current location and= place them in the middle of the front (that is about an 8ft span. =A0Then = cut out 4 ft of railing and move it to the side where the steps currently a= re. =A0I'll have to buy a couple of posts to anchor each side of what is le= ft of the front railings, and one more to anchor the side.

thing the top comes off somehow to get at them. =A0People have told me they= slide off, but of course I can't do that as they are currently terminated = at posts.

@Jim:

That looks like a very nice "district" that you live in...

I would ask if you need permission from a "historic district commission" to make a change in appearance like the one you are proposing...

Also it won't be as simple as "just moving the stairs" as you will have to dig new footings to support the base of the staircase and that kind of work requires a building permit and inspections...

So I would investigate what requirements you are bound by, this isn't a unscrew it and move it job, quite a bit more to it than that and it will cost more than you expect to do correctly...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

AM or PM? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

They are currently on the side of the front porch, but she would like them centered in the front so we can sit on either side and she can see her garden.

difficult and in fact I may be able to use quite a bit of the current railings. Essentially I will remove the steps from the current location and place them in the middle of the front (that is about an 8ft span. Then cut out 4 ft of railing and move it to the side where the steps currently are. I'll have to buy a couple of posts to anchor each side of what is left of the front railings, and one more to anchor the side.

thing the top comes off somehow to get at them. People have told me they slide off, but of course I can't do that as they are currently terminated at posts.

they apparently are wooden stairs, and may not have complete footings. it may simply be a matter of unscrewing them and moving them to a new location, then reattaching them to the porch.

Reply to
chaniarts

. =A0They are currently on the side of the front porch, but she would like = them centered in the front so we can sit on either side and she can see her= garden.

hat difficult and in fact I may be able to use quite a bit of the current r= ailings. =A0Essentially I will remove the steps from the current location a= nd place them in the middle of the front (that is about an 8ft span. =A0The= n cut out 4 ft of railing and move it to the side where the steps currently= are. =A0I'll have to buy a couple of posts to anchor each side of what is = left of the front railings, and one more to anchor the side.

I thing the top comes off somehow to get at them. =A0People have told me th= ey slide off, but of course I can't do that as they are currently terminate= d at posts.

Footings may or may not be a major issue.

Over 20 years ago I built a deck with a set of stairs consisting of 10 steps up to a landing.

I dug down into the sandy soil deep enough to place two 8" x 16" patio blocks under each of the 3 stringers, level with the ground.

4 kids later, countless parties and thousands of trips up and down the stairs - they haven't moved at all.

I guess it all depends on the surface upon which the stairs will land.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

. =A0They are currently on the side of the front porch, but she would like = them centered in the front so we can sit on either side and she can see her= garden.

hat difficult and in fact I may be able to use quite a bit of the current r= ailings. =A0Essentially I will remove the steps from the current location a= nd place them in the middle of the front (that is about an 8ft span. =A0The= n cut out 4 ft of railing and move it to the side where the steps currently= are. =A0I'll have to buy a couple of posts to anchor each side of what is = left of the front railings, and one more to anchor the side.

I thing the top comes off somehow to get at them. =A0People have told me th= ey slide off, but of course I can't do that as they are currently terminate= d at posts.

Evan,

Good eye. Yes, there is an historic district committee here. I dealt with= them when I did the original renovations on the house (added a second floo= r, etc). They are not unreasonable. They go a lot easier on me because it= is a 1930's bungalow, not 1600 and 1700 like the rest of the houses around= me.

Anyway, I'm not going to go through it all again, I'm just going to go for = it. I have very good relationships with all my neighbors and they don't re= ally care. The stairs will sit on a patio block footing as the ground is mo= stly ledge anyway, and that is all that is under them now. The constructio= n is all Azek and Procell. The current stairs have been there 4 years so I= don't see any reason to change the way they are "footed" in moving them.

But thank you for pointing it out, and I will pay attention to it.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr