I have damage to the walls in my attic...what is it from??

I have damage to the walls in my attic...what is it from?? open original image
I have damage to the walls in my attic...what is it from?? open original image

I am not sure when this occurred but I first noticed it recently...I have lived here for 4 years and I would think I would have noticed something like this if I saw it before but idk.

Buckeyeguy

There is no visible debris on the floor of the attic. Have you looked carefully for animal waste / rodent droppings?

If you haven't already picked up the missing material and if the damage wasn't cause by an animal, the only conclusion I can come up with is, it was damaged by a person and you never noticed it before.

What are we looking at in the picture? Is that vinyl or aluminum siding installed over construction paper with no other sheathing on the structure?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

There is another crack in the insulating board below the opening. From the light coming in thru the hole, the siding must be plastic. Lack of any debris on the floor makes it seem unlikely that an animal has been doing this.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You have a crazy aunt locked up in that attic?

Reply to
trader_4

Don't we all?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On a serious note, I have no idea what that could be. I don't even know what that construction is that we're looking at? Sheathing? But it's black on the inside? There is vinyl siding on the far side. Like Stormin pointed out, there is no debris, otherwise I;d figure some animal was trying to get out.

Reply to
trader_4

The black sheathing looks like old-school Celotex from here ;-)

Possibly damaged when the re-siding was done ?

Owner could get a sheet of similar fiberboard, cut pieces to cover holes, and glue in place.

Reply to
Retired