How to shine old barbed wire.

How can you make old barbed wire shine as much as possible?

Reply to
Transition Zone

How many feet do you want to shine up?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Very carefully? ;-)

John Kuthe...

Reply to
John Kuthe

10 feet at a time, maybe.
Reply to
Transition Zone

Transition Zone expressed precisely :

Electroplating?

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Phosphoric acid will remove the rust without damaging the wire but I've never seen barbed wire that I'd call shiny coming off the spool.

Reply to
rbowman

Great answer ! ... 10 feet at a time ..

X 2 ? X 1000 ?

Duh. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Jewelers rouge and a buffing wheel but I doubt it stays shiny long unless you shoot a coat of clear lacquer on it.

Reply to
gfretwell

The rust (Iron III oxide) already damaged the wire. Iron III oxide or rust IS damage to the iron in anything.

John Kuthe...

Reply to
John Kuthe

Would you be better off just to buy new? An Ebay seller has some for about $45 including shipping for a 330 ft. roll. There are shorter pieces for sale also. Farm supply stores come to mind. Tractor Supply and Orschelns are a couple of those.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Sigh... For the pedantic phosphoric acid will convert the Fe2O3 to ferric phosphate, FePO4, which is water soluble. It will not react with the remaining iron unlike hydrochloric (muriatic) acid which will form FeCl2 and hydrogen gas which is also water soluble. As a bonus phosphoric acid will leave a phosphate residue which will deter the iron from immediately rusting.

No, it's not going to miraculously convert the rust back into iron but it will do no further damage.

'Naval Jelly' is one commercial product that uses phosphoric but it's less expensive to use the dilute sort generally found with the masonry supplies since it is also used to etch concrete.

Reply to
rbowman

Some people collect the various types of barbed wire for display purposes but I don't know if that's the OP's intent.

Reply to
rbowman

Silver (or aluminum ) paint?

Reply to
Clare Snyder

In a dust form while in a kiln, maybe.

Reply to
Transition Zone

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 17:19:38 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe posted for all of us to digest...

To OP: Cold galvanizing spray or get it galvanized $$$.

Reply to
Tekkie©

That reminds me, whatever happened to Martinizing, and why did it always take one hour?

Reply to
Jim Joyce