How to kill those "Klunkers"

Drive it. Seriously. Driving an old gas guzzler 50,000 miles has less impact on the environment than building a new car.

Of course some of these "old gas guzzlers" being destroyed by the CARS program might have got as good or better fuel economy than a new car. Didn't the VW diesels of the mid-80s get 60+ MPG? Where can I buy a new car today that gets 60+ MPG?

CARS: Just another corporate welfare program.

Reply to
usenet-659f31de7f953aeb

It is being re-used. The scrap metal will go to China and in a couple of months we'll have new toasters and can openers made from '84 Gran Marquis.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Very few posts mention that _you and I_ are paying out those bonuses. I hope my neighbor appreciates me helping him buy a new car.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

Thus far I have seen nothing that says the entire vehicle must be destroyed. Only the engine has been mentioned. I have been wondering what would keep someone from buying the "hulk" after engine destruction and putting a new motor in it.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

The "clunker's" VIN is recorded as junked. The car cannot be registered.

BUT if you have a corresponding model, you can transfer the engine and VIN tag to the cluncker and you're good to go. Probably. For a while, anyway.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, generally speaking, the cars traded in are probably worth less than the $4500 bonus. That's why it was so attractive to trade them in. The vast majority of the clunkers are not WORTH installing a new engine. Prices for big gas guzzlers are extremely depressed already.

Reply to
salty

Technically it is a union (UAW) welfare plan. These are Democrats we are talking about afterall. Please try to remember who has bought of which party (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

well it has gotten the auto companies selling vehicles again.

if government had done nothing we would be in a depression today.

although this serious recession has probably changed behavior for at least a generation.

unlimited credit isnt a health thing.......

Reply to
bob haller

And, our toast will taste like sodium silicate for the first few slices.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Remember what the Japs did with our empty beer cans before WW2. History can repeat and usually does.

Reply to
Chuck

You seem awfully confused. Obama told us that the government found this money someplace and he is a really smart guy..

Reply to
George

Except that he never said any such thing. You need to develop some more plausible lies if you're going to use strawmen as your primary argumentative style.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

So where do *you* think the money is coming from?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Actually, I don't remember. Maybe you'll be kind enough to tell us.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

but

No strawman involved. They ran through the first billion and Obama said they "found" more money to keep the program going.

And just to give you a chance to enlighten us apparently confused folks where exactly does he actually get the money to pay for these programs?

Reply to
George

You know this how? That was certainly the spin when the government said they had to act immediately to transfer wealth to their owners but who knows what would have actually happened.

Reply to
George

Missed this the first time through. Anyone else think this is just too ironic for words given... well unlimited credit.. of the government and Fed.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Irrelevent.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

but

Please provide the time and place where obama said "I found this money someplace"

Reply to
AZ Nomad

So where do you think the cars are going?

Just came across this and thought it might be of interest:

Clot