How to find person to repair bad concrete finish work

Greetings all!

This is a long story that I'll make short: My wife and I are putting in a pool and a hot tub, and the concrete guy the pool contractor got to do the deck work (his third choice, by the way, as the first two were too busy) did a decent job with most of the stamped concrete, but an absolutely horrible job with the finish work around the pool and spa. So we told him to fix it to our satisfaction, but his "repair" work was so bad that we just paid him to go away. I am in the middle of a nervous breakdown, and don't feel up to pursuing a lawsuit, so that part of the story is over and I am not interested in revisiting my nightmarish experience with this vile concrete guy.

However, I would be willing to pay a concrete craftsman, who takes real pride in his finish work, to come out and repair the rotten finish work done by the first guy. This would probably entail some sanding around the edge of the pool and spa, some buttering (or "creaming"?...not sure of the correct term) of some of the worst areas, and staining the edge work so there is at least SOME consistent color (ANYTHING is better than the current haphazard job). Probably only one day for one skilled craftsmen...not a gargantuan job.

But how do I find such a craftsman? If I call someone in the yellow pages...even the guy who did the crappy job I am trying to repair...they will all of course assure that they do great finish work, but I know from previous experience that this is not always the case. Are there any buzzwords I should use, like "concrete restoration"? Do some concrete professionals specialize in finish work (like a relief pitcher in baseball specializes in finishing games)? I have asked my friends in my area for advice, but nobody has had any useful information.

I live in the Santa Ynez, California, USA, and the communities that are nearby include Santa Barbara, Lompoc, Santa Maria, San Luis Opisbo, and...maybe an hour north of us...Atascadero. If anyone knows anyone in my area that does great "pride in workmanship" concrete finish work, PLEASE let me know!

If I don't find someone, I'll have to learn to do it myself, but I'd prefer to get a professional to do it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

I suspect you will not be happy with anything that repairs what is there. You might get some help by staining and some grinding, but the results are not going to look really good. The idea of topcoating is not wise in my opinion as the color and finish is not likely to match what you have and it may not be structurally sound and flak off.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I'd put a plug in for my service pro directory company but I checked and I don't have any concrete contractors listed in your area :(

So instead I'll put in a plug for another directory. Checkout angieslist.com they might have someone.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Richard Thoms

Once you complete having your nervous breakdown you will no longer care..... You will just want revenge and you will end up murdering the guy that screwed up your concrete, and you'll spend the rest of your life in prison.

This is the final outcome and there is no alternative solution.

Reply to