How to drill a 1" hole in a steel-clad entry door

Jes exactly WHAT IS the cladding material? I find it hard to believe it is steel and you got through it with a spade bit, regardless of thickness.

nb

Reply to
notbob

As Dennis said, it's really a soft steel. A magnet sticks to it. The seal around the door is also magnetic, like on a refrigerator, for a good weather-proof seal.

My micrometer gives the actual thickness of the steel as 0.026".

R1

Reply to
Rebel1

Isn't that why they have the hole for the 1/4" drill bit? That type is an excellent choice. I don't have that brand. Mine are the red ones.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I feel like I'm all alone in the room, talking to myself.

.

Isn't that why they have the hole for the 1/4" drill bit? That type is an excellent choice. I don't have that brand. Mine are the red ones.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And your point is???

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I told the OP how to make a nice hole. And this is my thanks?

.

And your point is???

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Aw come on, you're almost sounding like our imposter-in-chief trying to take credit for the increase in oil production in the U.S. since he took office. I did say "almost." :-)

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I actually had a useful contribution, though.

.