How to adjust steel linked watch band (Wenger Swiss Military waterproof)

Look in the mirror and point to yourself!

Reply to
Jamie Cook

FWIW, I have a Tag 2000 automatic, and I have averaged about $20 per year for the past 14 years on maintenance.(not counting broken and/or melted crystals, which are certainly not the watches fault)

But I don't take it diving...

Reply to
dazed and confuzzed

Casting aluminum and Iron.

If you forget to take them off, you can sometimes crack them from spatter when welding without gloves.

Breaking them from imapacts while wearing your watch on your wrist is more painful, however, and the effects are probably longer lasting.

Suprisingly, they resist a grinding wheel quite well.

YMMV

Reply to
dazed and confuzzed

Oh, really?

You'd be well advised to do a "tiny" bit of research on the commercial use of Tritium: quite a number of companies use "dots" on their products, especially in the armaments field.

Beretta, for example.

Reply to
RAM^3

which group? (since this was crossposted)

Reply to
dazed and confuzzed

Honest John wrote

Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen, the one after deuterium.

Unlikely that thats in a watch to make the hands glow.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Hi, Rolex is used car sales man's favourite. Won't even make onto the list of 10 best watches in the world. There are many other fine watches. Not going too high, I like IWC. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

One should note that dinosaurs lasted several million years...

Gunner, collecter of Seiko automatics

Gunner

Correct. Those little glass tubes are inset into the front and rear sights so just the ends show.

They do have to be replaced periodically though as they go dim.

Gunner

Gunner

Honest John wrote

Those are actually glass vials, and it isnt really that practical to do the 'dots' that way.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Now don't you think that arguing with a regular alt.horology user about these things is just plain silly ?

"Besides radium, there are several other methods of making "glow in the dark" watch dials. There are various non-radioactive phosphor compounds that will glow in the dark after being exposed to light. Some modern compounds can glow for 10 to 15 hours after a relatively short exposures to bright light. Tritium, like radium, is radioactive, but it is much safer. Tritium, a form of hydrogen, has a reasonably short 12 year half life so it doesn't have the long term dangers that radium has, and it decays into harmless helium. The beta particles that tritium gives off can not even penetrate the outer layer of dead skin on your body, let alone the watch crystal and watch case."

source:

And yes, the 'T' means Tritium on watch dials.

Reply to
Frank Adam

Frank Adam wrote

Heavy breathing has been banned in here.

Might be if I had actually bothered to look that individual up.

Then again, I often do point out the stupiditys in the posts of even the stupidest, mainly so other readers wont buy the bullshit.

How about a cite on the chemistry of that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I am nobody wrote

I dont bother with them anymore, I get the time from the cellphone in the rare situation where I care about the time.

Reply to
Rod Speed

the swisswatchguy wrote

Useless on what chemical is used on the watch hands and dots.

And mechanical watches are complete dinosaurs anyway.

Reply to
Rod Speed

"Rod Speed is a moron, just plonk him"

He'll grow out of this, after all, "mentally" he's only 12 years old.

p.s. Say NO to drugs, Mr. SPEED !

Reply to
Honest John

Just your pathetic little drug crazed fantasy.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Rod Speed is a moron, just plonk him.

Reply to
zog

This answers the question as far as Rolex: "The black enameled dial of the Explorer is elaborated with a painted white minute track, white gold bar markets filled with tritium, and white gold Arabic numerals at three, six, and nine." Here's the link the quote is in:

Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

ROTFLMAO! Ad hominem directed at a watch !? You have clearly evolved, Rod..

Reply to
Frank Adam

Yes, you are!

Reply to