How Come My Brand New Stainless Steel Sink Stains?

George Shirley wrote in news:if6dnYvCX41urhnWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I hadn't thought of mineral deposits. Perhaps the OP's new sink has a surface texture that's more receptive to mineral deposits than his old sink.

I wonder if something like CLR might also work? CLR does a bang-up job of dissolving mineral deposits in our shower head.

Reply to
Tegger

Second that. I'm just about finished with my remodel, so I invited a lady over to show off.

Her comment: "Man Cave!"

"How do you figure," I asked. "I mean the place could use some doilies and knick-knacks, I admit, but..."

"The buffalo head over the fireplace is a dead give-away."

Reply to
HeyBub

Usually not the best primary reason. Those who do so sometimes deprive themselves of superior products at a lower prices with self-defeating results.

Adam Smith offered the following example: Italy makes great cheese and mediocre wine. France makes great wine and indifferent cheese. Suppose the Italians resolve to drink only local wine and the French decide to eat only Frog cheese. Each country ends up with dissatisfied consumers, economic stasis, and no wealth being created.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm not alluding to anything, and I made no mention of any microbes. The qualities of Stainless Steel are widely known, and easy to find out about if you care to learn. Note just for openers that it is called StainLESS, not StainPROOF. Setting his soap bottle, with a soap covered bottom on the sink could easily promote the low oxygen conditions needed for rust to develop quite rapidly. There is not enough free oxygen in water to prevent corrosion issues in Stainless Steel. Stainless Steel submerged in water is very susceptible to corrosion.

Reply to
salty

On Feb 23, 3:38=A0pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: Setting his soap bottle, with a soap

Submersal in water will not cause a breakdown of the protective chromium oxide layer.

Try again.

Reply to
mike

Maybe it was your cologne. She was not partial to Gun Oil scents?

A little dab behind the ears should attract the right lady.

Reply to
Oren

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It is?

Then why is it used for

1) that sink in your kitchen, which spends much of its time wet? 2) commercial food-service applications? 3) swimming pool equipment? 4) fasteners (screws, etc) which face extremely corrosive environments involving water? 5) automobile exhausts?

I think you're not quite understanding the reason why stainless steel exists in the first place...

Reply to
Tegger

"HeyBub" wrote in news:Laudndy73NcewhnWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I think everone should buy as local as possible: Everything you use and consume should originate on your own personal real estate, much like in the year 1000.

Myself, I make great computer parts from garden waste, and very durable shoes from our dog that died. You wanna buy those things? Sorry, I only /sell/ local as well, so the wife and kids are my only market; they're not allowed off-property in case they buy something from the neighbors.

Reply to
Tegger

Might get Sarah Palin giving your neck a nibble if you wore that ;)

Stu

More than simply a recipe website

Please Note: The information in this post is the intellectual property of it's author. If you have made this information available for viewing on a website without the authors authorization you must remove it immediately. Authorization cannot be simply implied, it must come directly from the post's author.

Reply to
Stu

The kid gave his wife a Glock for their first anniversary, last year. It worked for him, so I may try Au de Walther on SWMBO this year.

Reply to
krw

We had a contractor finish the last kitchen remodel, he put a new double sink in. It as well kept staining, finally afterthree sinks he got a sink from crane and put it in, hasn't stained yet and that was in 2001. Seems there is quite a number of knockoffs from overseas on the market, possibly what you picked up.

Stu

More than simply a recipe website

Please Note: The information in this post is the intellectual property of it's author. If you have made this information available for viewing on a website without the authors authorization you must remove it immediately. Authorization cannot be simply implied, it must come directly from the post's author.

Reply to
Stu

Well...fortunately I live in a great area that has just about everything I need....and want. Yes, I can get good wines, great cheese and other great products. I just like the idea of supporting my home town and not giving my dollars to someplace else. Of course, if you look long enough you will always find someone, someplace selling something cheaper than the next guy but I really don't care.

Reply to
Chemo the Clown

There's a waitress at the local Friendlys with a powder burn on her right cheek--she's sensitive about it, she just doesn't grasp how much of a turn on that is for the right guy.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The Glock worked???????

Reply to
Chemo the Clown

Quite well, wanna try anything?

Reply to
krw

Now you gonna tell me she is blonde, right?

Be careful mixing various scents of gun oil. You could find yourself surrounded by vast qualities of attractive women.

I'm working on a blonde female attractant.

Reply to
Oren

"Stainless steel" as it is commonly referred to is really technically "corrosion resistant steel".

The corrosion resistance comes from the alloys' ability to form a protective layer of chromium oxide, though relatively thin and subject to damage.

My parents SS pool ladder lasted for YEARS (like 30+) without any rust...except in the region just above and below the water surface. It rusted in the "wave zone".

note: Not all SS's are non-magnetic. Even so called "good" 300 series stainless steels CAN be magnetic due to alloy & working (cold working or heavy polishing). So the magnet test can give erroneous results.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Note: Not all SS's are non-magnetic. Even so called "good" 300 series stainless steels CAN be magnetic due to alloy & working (cold working or heavy polishing). So the magnet test can give erroneous results.

But a "magnet doesn't stick" result usually means "good stainless"

Reply to
DD_BobK

I'd have to agree with Mike..... "Submersion in water will not cause a breakdown of the protective chromium oxide layer."

decent SS submerged in swimming pool water doesn't rust ...well at least for 30+ years in my "test pool"

to get SS to rust one typically has to disrupt the chromium oxide layer, with mechanical abrasion being a great method.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

'fraid not, very dark brown hair. Nice looking though.

Reply to
J. Clarke