How can these cost $68?

How can these cost $68? There just little metal? rings. What are they? They come in several colors, but are shown on different pages. I don't know if they are specific to my 2005 Toyota Solara fog lights, or not. I found them under fog lights. I only have 2 fog lights, why would I want 5 bezels? Even 2 woudl be $27 if one could find just 2. One bulb is burnt out but why would a bezel need replacing?

micky

It looks like one is $68. Hit the plus key on the side to watch the dollars change. Are there five pictured because one can build up to a five wide light rack?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

No, says 5 pcs in small print above KC HiLiTES 5 Pcs. Black Ed Coated KC Flex Bezel

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Easy. People that build those thing just want it. Probably costs no more than $8 to produce them. When I worked in the hobby industry retail price was at least 5X cost to produce. Then there is tooling to amortize.

They are also ED coated. That is a couple of bucks but many people have never heard of it.

ED Coating is known by many names like Electrodeposition, Electropheretic, Electrophoresis Coating, Cationic E-Coat and Cathodic Electro Deposition just to name a few. It is an organic coating method that uses electrical current to deposit paint onto a part or assembled product

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Where do you see these are for a Solara ?

They are replacement rings on a after-market 5 lamp "off-road" light bar made by KC Hilites

See

Also see
where there is a video at the bottom of the page showing the bezels being swapped to change color of the bezel.

Reply to
Anonymous

I put Solara in in the first place, and then looked for bulbs for my car, and I hope everything they show also fits my car. Maybe not.

Thanks. Wow. $484 for the lights, which Amazon cleverly says will not fit my car. Actually they only list Jeep Wrangler JL or Gladiator JT Rubicon Steel Bumper Option. My car is nothing like those.

I guess if you'll spend 484 for lights, 68 is nothing for colored bezels.

So the thing is only a foot wide.

I do my off-roading in the daytime. :-)

And cheaper too, only $41 for what Autozone wanted 68. But hey, if you've got it in your pocket, spend it. You can worry about old age if you live that long.

Reply to
micky

I'd never heard of it either.

I want some!

Reply to
micky

Because they can?

I just looked a refrigerator door gasket and they want $140-150 for them. (one of 2 on a french door fridge).

Reply to
gfretwell

Because somebody (probably quite a few somebodies) are willing to pay that much for them.

Why are diamonds and gold expensive? Apart from some interesting industrial uses, they are of no practical value.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

If you don't like the price you could always buy a chunk of stainless steel and carve one out with your pocket knife.

Or buy a SLS RP that does metal.

Reply to
Bernhard

I dunno, used properly even an ugly guy can get laid.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The industral diamonds are almost worthless. It is just the DeBeers had a lock on the jewlery grade diamonds for many years and had convienced all the women that they needed them.

Just as some are willing to pay lots of money for old coins and stamps. Just the collector value that some place on them. Probably one of the biggest 'fools' I know of was that there is a canceled postage stamp that is reported to be about the only one in the world and it auctioned off for over a million bucks. A totally worthless square inch of paper.

Not too many years ago the Cabbage Patch dolls were a hot item for Christmas and people were fighting over them and paying several hundred bucks for them. Now you can't hardly give them away.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Are you sure that you're not confused about a fictional scene in _Brewster's Millions_?

Who are you to judge someone elses purchase?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I think that scene was where he bought a rare stamp and then mailed a letter with it. It may have been the airmail stamp with the upside down airplane, but I am not sure as I only saw that movie once and it was a long time ago.

No, it is a real stamp and last sold for around 9.4 million dollars.

If the origional buyer would have kept it and sold it at that price it would probably have been one of the greatest returns on an investment. Going from one cent to 9.4 million dollars.

It has been rumored that another was found and auctioned off and the buyer was the one that owned the first one. He then destroied the one he just bought so his would still be the only one in the world. That is just a rumor and probably not true.

As one of the wiser men once said 'a fool and his money are soon parted'.

If someone has the money to throw away I do not care how he spends it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

What? Are you saying my "Furby" is worthless ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

You referred to them as "fools", twice. That's judgement. So obviously you do care. It's no different from someone buying a 1.5 million dollar McLaren and crashing it the next day.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

If the man has enough money to buy a 1.5 million dollar car that is fine. At least he can drive it.

As far as the crash, if not an intentional crash, it was not foolish.

If that is the crash I am thinking about and he was going way over the speed limit, that part is the foolish part.

That inch of paper with some print on it is totally worthless except for the collector value of being able to say that it is the only one. Suppose I take a piece of paper and put some paint on it. Practically worthless. However if I can convience (or others convience) that my paintings are worth something, then it suddenly becomes very valuable. As I will never become famous, my paper will be worthless.

I like the story of someone that went around to restraunts and offered a napkin he had scribbled on for the price of the meal. Over the years those napkins became probably worth the restraunts he ate in as he became a famous artist.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Actually, I wasn't thinking of any particular incident. Many crasheMs aren't the fault of the driver.

That's true for the Mona Lisa, van Gogh's _The Starry Night_ and thousands of other very expensive works of art.

What does that have to do with rare stamps?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

It happens that Ralph Mowery formulated :

The "Inverted Jenny" IIRC from the movie.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

That's ridiculous to pay 9+ million.

I wouldn 't have given more than 5 million.

Reply to
micky