Hotpoint gas range fire

We had a brand new Hotpoint range burst into flames after the oven was set to preheat for 15 minutes. Has else anyone had this problem? Does anyone know of a recall on 2008 and 2009 Hotpoint stoves?

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Hotpoint

I don't know about any recalls but this link to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission will let you find out:

Dean Hoffman

Fisher & Paykel. Shutting off the oven didn't stop it, but the circuit breaker did.

Reply to
Art Todesco

This is a danger with many modern electric ranges. Only one side of each heating coil is switched, so if the heating element breaks and a coil touches the grounded metal frame, it becomes an arc welder. I'm surprised that UL doesn't require some sort of fusible link to minimize the danger. Such links are common in smaller appliances.

Reply to
Bob