hot water baseboard heat question

Hi all,

Bought new house, all the old houses we've lived in were either forced hot air, or old steam type radiators.

The new one has hot water baseboard heaters.

They seem to work fine, no complaints.

However, at night you can hear some slight noises coming from the baseboard radiators when the circulator pumps are running. Odd little periodic metallic popping noises.

Having "Google'd" the topic, it seems this is normal to a degree (the slight expansion & contraction due to metal heating up and cooling down - and that's what i'm hearing).

Does this correspond to what others of you with this type of system in your home experience?

Reply to
nospam

Yes, this has been my experience too. Every time the heat comes on you can hear the metal expanding...a ticking of sorts. More noticeable at night.

Reply to
beerguzzler50

Yes it is normal to hear small popping and creeking but you may be able to reduce it by putting things right. If you have the kind that the metal covers come off then pop the large bottom cover and make sure the arm that come up to hold aluminum fins up has a piece of plastic on it centered and there are no metal to metal contacts.

The next thing you could do is take these covers off let the system cool and then go room by room where you have more of the noise and turn the system on and then address the biggest clicks and clunks until you have them reduced to your liking.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I found squirting some engine oil in where the pipe goes through the walls helped a bit. Also, I tried popsicle sticks carved to be used as wedges. You just have to experiment.

nospam wrote:

Reply to
Stubby