Hot water heat baseboard install question

Hi All,

I want to have installed in my basement an additional zone of hot water baseboard heat. The basement has a concrete slab floor. A plumbing contractor told me the level of the copper pipe used to connect the baseboard should remain mostly level, and is suggesting in one instance channeling into the concrete floor to continue the loop, as opposed to going up, over and down an obstacle with the pipe. He said this will prevent excess air in the pipe and avoid the constant need to bleed the pipes. I'm not keen on the idea of laying copper pipe into concrete. Is keeping the pipe level really a big concern in this kind of application. Thanks for advise in advance.

Reply to
Tonysi

Air bleed valves at highpoints will work

Reply to
m Ransley

Yes and no. It is important to avoid areas where air can accumulate and cause an air lock, preventing the water from flowing. Going up over and down to clear an obstacle is a perfect example of something to avoid. It possible to manage by proper flushing technique, but it becomes a maintenance hassle.

However, if the area will be open or accessable, the plumber can install an automatic air vent at the top of that loop that will prevent air from accumulating. Or even a manual vent.

I've got pipes under the slab and I wish I didn't. I've had one leak, and figure it's only a matter of time until another.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin