outdoors downlighting

I have seen lights under the eaves of some upscale homes that 'downlight' architectural features of the home.

Does anyone know what are these called, and where can I find them?

Thanks!

Reply to
kellyj00

I think they are just conventional hi-hats. I was looking into them at one time, and an electrician I knew said they are the same hi-hats you use in your house. I don't think they need to be outdoor rated either since they are under an eave.

Reply to
Mikepier

Energy hogs.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

They are called "recessed can lights" and can be found at electrical distributors or the usual home center stores. You should install only models UL listed for damp locations.

You can install screw-in compact fluorescent bulbs into standard can lights for energy efficiency and longer lamp life; but it would be better to install a can fixture made for the fluorescent source. I like the fixtures made by Cooper (their "Halo" line) and used their H1313 and H1314 on my own house.

The fixtures are well shielded so there's no glare or trespass lighting into neighboring yards and they are well made. I like the way the light brings out the texture of the wall materials plus the soft perimeter of light on the shrubs and flower beds. Experiment with bulb wattages and go with the lowest wattage you can for a subtle effect.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

They're better for security, too, compared to the flood lights so often installed by idiots who aim them directly into the street, thereby blinding the cops when they arrive to check out the burglar you think is lurking around the house.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

They're just can lights? That sounds, well, too simple!

Do they make any surface mount type of thing for this? What about low voltage lighting? would it save any power?

Good tips on the power usage thing.

Reply to
kellyj00

OK...now you're venturing into "I don't know how to tie my own shoes" territory.

Go get your yellow pages phone book. Look up an electrical supply or lighting place. Get in the car and visit these places.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That's the point!

Yes, Of course, Depends on many factors...

Richard Reid, LC

Reply to
RickR