Hooking up a 240V stove range

I want to hook up a single 240V stove range to the dryer outlet using a 10 gauge extension cord. The stove has a black, red and a copper, all rated at 12 gauge. The dryer uses a 10 gauge wire. I will be using only 1 burner which is about once a month. The dryer outlet is a three plug NEMA: 10-30R. The reason why I'm asking is because if this is not possible then I will have to switch to propane which is as hazardous. What is the requirement that I should make to ensure that the stove doesn't do any harm?

Thanks

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

To start with I don't think extension cords of any kind are code. That should be the end of the discussion.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Joseph Meghan is right here. The manufacturers directions on all modern ranges require that they be fastened in place. The use of extension cords to supply such equipment is a violation of

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following: (1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure.
Reply to
Member, Takoma Park Volunteer