HomeDepot Sloppy Door install

I recently had a backdoor installed by R&F Installation (working for Home Depot). I noticed the door was loose in the jam but the installer said that was normal. I went on vacation and when I came back I noticed the door was catching on the bottom a bit and some daylight was showing through on the top. Called HD and they sent out the same installers. (Their 2nd mistake). One of the guys had an attitude right off the bat. He muttered something about "cheap door". He said the door catching was normal and stuck some additional insulation to block the sun light. He tried to tell me it was normal for the door to be loose again so I told him to leave and I'd call HD again to get another company out.

I check all my other exterior doors and they are tight. If I shove on the top of the newly installed door it has a bunch of wiggle room on the opening side. Not on the bottom. Also, the door isn't fitting in the jam evenly. The top part sticks out a good 1/4". Hence the need for additional insulation.

HD is supposed to send another company out to inspect the door but I get the feeling my standards maybe too high. If I wanted the door installed half ass I could of done it myself and saved a bunch of money.

Do any of you have similar experiences and am I just being too picky?

Reply to
jthread

Doors are one of those things where it needs to be right. If it isn't you will be reminded that it isn't every time you use it. When I hang a door I expect I will need to fuss with it, especially if it is not a pre-hung door. The gap should be even all the way around, the door should stay where ever it is put, and it should open/close sweetly.

Reply to
Phisherman

This isn't rocket science and the engineering for the materials used for even very cheap doors is pretty well understood. What you describe is most likely due to poor instalation and the jerk is blaming the materials. Maybe in ten years, a very cheap door might swell up (or shrink), but a new door should fit perfectly. If the door was defective then it shouldn't have been installed! Keep in mind that new house construction use materials exactly as what Home Depot sells. All very cheap and most work quite well.

Get somebody else there. If they won't fix it, call home depot back and explain to them that they would be forcing you to hire an outside contractor and for you to sue HD to recover the cost. Again, this isn't rocket science. The door should simply fit and fit at least as well as the original crap that your house came with.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Is that before or after you pay them? :-)

It is a pre-hung door.

It is opening/closing better. One of the guys that came out tightened the hinges. Which only goes to prove the other guy didn't want to hear my comments anyway. He immediately said that it's normal for the door to catch on the bottom. But the seam around the door is uneven and it's still loose. I get the feeling I'm going to have to fix it myself or learn to live with it. I'll post again after the other company comes out.

Thanks

Reply to
jthread

Thanks. Good advice. I'll post again after the other company comes out. I'll give HD another chance then get my own installer.

Reply to
jthread

"jthread" wrote

If it helps, I've had less than stellar results with HD but good ones with Lowes for everything we have contracted with them. I had only one contracted install with Lowes that had a minor problem and they came out later same day to fix it.

HD however took 5 *months* to get me a new tub install. One delay after another. Was not the actual installers fault it seemed but poor organization at the head office.

Reply to
cshenk

IMHO, if these contractors were any good, they wouldn't need HD to get work. I was on a house renovation some years ago, where HD installers were installing windows. After the homeowner complained about how hard it was to open the windows, they sent the original installer back, and two subsequent installers after that, none of whom could get the windows fixed. Before an installer would come a HD rep would come and try to pacify the customer. Ultimately the customer contacted the window manufacturer, who sent their own rep and explained that all the windows were installed incorrectly and with their help, had HD use a qualified installer and reinstall all of them

Reply to
RBM

Please, promise to never buy from the big box stores again. This is the crap they pull far too often.

They sent out hacks. I've installed many doors over the years and none needed insulation, none were loose, all closed with no rubbing or the job was not done.

Next time look for a reputable local door/window guy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you hire someone I think you will loose the right to a credit if HD is not given a full chance to fix it.

Email HD HQ, I have and recieved a few 35$ gift certificates, they want your business, business is slowing down, you can always add a line like next week its Lowes for my apliances and addition. HD corporate does not like hacks, rude employees, poor stock, or anything to hurt profits either. If its a defective door they owe you a good one.

Reply to
ransley

If you hire someone I think you will loose the right to a credit if HD is not given a full chance to fix it.

Email HD HQ, I have and recieved a few 35$ gift certificates, they want your business, business is slowing down, you can always add a line like next week its Lowes for my apliances and addition. HD corporate does not like hacks, rude employees, poor stock, or anything to hurt profits either. If its a defective door they owe you a good one.

Oh yeah and this guy was rude. There isn't anything wrong with the door. The first time he came out he told me "Your yard is looking kind of long" Like he wanted to get rid of me. The second time he said something about "cheap door". He was really shooting himself in the foot. I get the feeling I'm not his first or last complaint.

When he tried to explain his crappy work the second time I just didn't want to listen. I told him to leave and I was calling HD to get another company out here. He said "what?" and I said "Leave!" He knows I'm pretty pissed off. I guess he used to bullying people. I just don't put up with crap. Especially in my own house.

I like the idea of getting a hold of the door maufacturer and letting them know what HD installers say about their product. That should be interesting. I'll email HD HQ and forward it to Mansonite.

Reply to
ythread

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:7wE6k.8898$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com:

I just finished up a steel front door yesterday. Installed according to provided directions which are pretty std directions for basic door. It was one of those "cheap door"s from The Borg .

No extra insulation, not loose, no rubbing, zero light visable from inside looking out, nice easy latch click with minimal effort when closed.

Cheap door? Get this somewhat embarrassing adder:

Guy who brought it home for me in his pickup I just happened to run into while there. He had his truck loaded up with stuff with tailgate down cause he had so much crap. Piece of OSB propped higher in front of bed vs back. Back is low and tailgate is down. Door is on top of OSB. You can guess where this is going. I am behind him keeping distance. He's going slow but has to stop on a pretty good upward incline. Although he eases when starting again, OSB slides off along with door. No direct hit on pavement or visual damage to door since it was on the OSB. Door and OSB just sortta slid then a thud.

So, "cheap door" + it took a sliding thud off the pickup yet it installed and works fine. Just an amusing side story and suggest not telling it to those installers or they will be throwing doors off the truck before installing thinking it's some secret prep for installing.

Reply to
Red Green

"SteveB" wrote in news:trori5-sc32.ln1 @news.infowest.com:

I had them do a carpet install a few years back. Looked excellent when done. No issues for the 9 mos that followed while I lived there. What I did find out about the installers though is they were active established employees of a local carpet business. HD sub-k'd the carpet company do do the work and not the actually installers.

Reply to
Red Green

those bastards!

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I've had an HD contractor in Ellicott City, MD install inside and outside doors for me. And I have been very satisfied.

Where I live, HD is very picky about their contractors and I've yet to hear a complaint.

If you don't get satisfaction from your local HD, tell them you going to complain to HD corporate.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Anyone who hires HD to do ANYTHING deserves what they get.

Reply to
SteveB

A little salt for the wound? :-)

Hindsight is always 20/20, as my Dad always said. But at least I have some options. HD is sending another company to inspect the work at their cost. Had I hired R&F Installation to do it myself I doubt I'd have much recourse. We all live and learn.

Reply to
ythread

Good to hear. With as much business as HD generates I'm sure there are plenty of good contractors willing to share the wealth.

I called the corporate Customer Service yesterday and they are sending another company out. I'm going to be patient and try to get this thing resolved through their channels. I really don't feel like throwing more money into this on my own. My next move will be a carefully worded email to Mansonite and HD corporate.

Reply to
ythread

Just having HD being rude to me got me 35$, dont give up, let hd fix it, and complain until its right and doesnt stick or have any issues. HD knows rudness means you go to Lowes tomorrow.

Reply to
ransley

Tell HD HQ by email, to check out your public complaint at alt.homerepair, that tens of thousands will scrutinise how its resolved over the years to come. Email is best for complaints, its on record, alot will read it, dont use the phone. Tell HD you will open this thread on 20 more newsgroups, and keep it #1 for years to come, if you are not given what you paid for immediatly.

Reply to
ransley

He's full of baloney. In a newly-installed door, that's a sign of incompetent installation. Nothing "normal" about it.

Nothing normal about that either.

I hope you haven't already paid...

Reply to
Doug Miller