Home computer problem

Well, they're not using scare tactics, they're just pointing out a simple fact. I experiment with a lot of different software and can sometimes have problems with odd conflicts. A lot of the software is pretty good but some is junk and I don't download and install everything that's offered. I installed The Cleaner 2012 on three machines and it's doing a good job of finding malware that a few different anti-virus programs missed. They offer Paragon software from time to time and I always get it if I'm able.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Did you get it fixed yet? If you did, how'd you do it? What did you do?

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

You don't have to do that. Simply add the line: "This email sent from my Iphone (Ipad, etc.)" and all your beautiful people friends will THINK you have an Apple.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not a given. Whether the registry is 100K or 20 gigabytes is irrelevant when it comes to efficiency.

The registry is not searched sequentially; it is a highly optimized relational database. It takes exactly the same number of disk reads and accesses to find a requested key irrespective of the registry's size.

Admittedly, a HUGE registry is a larger target for something to go wrong, say a bad physical sector on the disk, but as far as efficiency, a "bloated" registry is of no effect.

For those who routinely dust the inside cover of shelved books, an occasional pass of CCleaner might allow them to sleep better at night (except for the nagging fear that the canned vegetables in the pantry might not be in perfect alphabetical order...).

Reply to
HeyBub

Windows? Efficiency? You funny man!

nb

Reply to
notbob

I've had Opera for 7 years, never was a fee in any of those years.

Reply to
K. Lance

11.01... I like!
Reply to
K. Lance

Excellent!

I may give it another shot. In the beginning, Opera charged $39 for a real working copy. That was yrs ago in its early days.

nb

Reply to
notbob

And that's important exactly how?

Memory usage is a time-dependent resource. If you don't use it right now, you've lost the opportunity forever.

Reply to
HeyBub

"K. Lance" wrote in news:infgia$aup$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I'm running W98SE and it looks like 11.xx is iffy for that system. Curse Microsoft and their planned obsolescence!

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Not sure if Win 7 has a host file. If so read it. In XP it's located at C:/windows/system32/drivers/ect

Reply to
tnom

tnom

It's only important if you want quicker browsing, less chance of the browser being exploited, browsing options you don't find on the memory hogs, and a true developer tool. Other than those reasons, stick to FF & IE.

Reply to
K. Lance

Speaking from experience (I own a small software company), if you have 4 Gigs of memory available, you'd be a poor programmer to not take advantage of it. You tables can be accessed at RAM speed or you can save memory (so you can collect it and trade it with your friends) by putting the table on disk and do a disk look-up every time you need a price.

That's NOT to say you can be a sloppy programmer, but with the price of memory today, there's really no defense in coding for micro-efficiency

I reworked an AR system for a large hospital. Each patient record had a code for the service rendered. When it came time to print invoices or statements, the program originally did a disk look-up for each billing code. With thousands of patients, each having from five to five hundred line items, you can imagine how much disk thrash was involved.

Simple analysis showed virtually every patient had a collection of identical charges: semi-private room, telephone, etc. By hardwiring these into the program (at some memory cost), the nightly AR run went from four hours to 35 minutes.

Reply to
HeyBub

Considering the millions of lines of code it runs, it's efficiency isn't all that bad - but it is DEFINITELY bloated.

Reply to
clare

Curse apple too - if you changed OS you needed to upgrade all your software too, untill they started running UNIX on a PC and calling it an APPLE

Reply to
clare

Yikes! I quit running w98se after the 4th drive-by download, which wiped my 40G HDD. Been running linux ever since. That was 10 yrs ago. At least run w2k.

You can too and at no cost. It's called linux. They're really dumbing it down for those who don't wanna be bothered with actually thinking. Ubuntu linux is perfect for those folks.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I like PC-BSD myself. ^_^