What to use to clean toilet scale

My toilet has a buildup of scale. I guess my water has a lot of calcium or something like that. Using bleach makes it look whiter, but the buildup is still there. Commercial toilet cleaners do not seem to remove it. Scraping it with a putty knife works, but it's a big job. What else can I use? I was thinking of some type of acid. I did pour some vinegar in it, but it's so diluted in the water that is dont do anything.

Suggestions?

Reply to
jw

snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote the following:

Sewer or septic system. It's important to know before you throw chemicals in it.

Reply to
willshak

Reply to
RogerT

That's just dilute hydrochloric (Muriadic) acid in an expensive container.

Reply to
krw

If there are rust stains, the same technique works for oxalic acid. I don't sponge the water out. I've got a specially formed coat hanger that keeps the float raised and then I quickly dump about half a gallon of water from a bucket which flushes it, leaving less than an inch of water in the bowl. I use toilet tissue so I can just flush when finished.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Muriatic acid is the normal suggestion. Works well, quickly, easy to rinse.

Reply to
DanG

Easier with a toilet plunger.

Reply to
Michael B

yep plunge it down, then use muriatic acid, and put some down the dip tube to clean the interior toilet bowl rim passages.

Reply to
bob haller

The safest and best off the shelf cleaner I've used is "the Works". I've had very good luck with it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

No muriatic, but it does have acids

# 01 Ingredient Name *WATER (68-74%) Percent 74 Ingredient # 02 Ingredient Name GLYCOLIC ACID (13-16%) CAS Number 79141 Proprietary NO Percent 16 Ingredient # 03 Ingredient Name *SULFAMIC ACID (3-6%) CAS Number 5329146 Proprietary NO Percent 6 Ingredient # 04 Ingredient Name *DISODIUM CAPRYLOAMPHODIPROPIONATE (4-7%) CAS Number 68815554 Proprietary NO Percent 7 Ingredient # 05 Ingredient Name ETHANOL, 2-BUTOXY- (1-4%) CAS Number 111762 Proprietary N0 Percent 4 Ingredient # 06 Ingredient Name 1,2,3-PROPANETRICARBOXYLIC ACID,

2-HYDROXY- (1-4%) CAS Number 77929
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Everyone keeps telling you to use hydrochloric (muriatic) acid which is fine but no one tells you that you need to *dilute* it. And when you dilute it, BE SURE to add the acid to water, not vice versa else you may get a face full of acid.

The hydrochloric acid you buy at pool supply or similar places is usually around 28-32%. For what you want, I would add about 3 ounces of it per quart of water giving you about a 3% solution. If that works with reasonable speed, fine; if not add another ounce or so acid at a time until it does. Keep in mind that as the acid removes the calcium scale it is neutralizing itself and becomes less acid necessitating a fresh batch.

Once you are all sparkly clean, flush a couple of times; it wouldn't hurt to flush 1/2 of a box of sodium bicarbonate with the last flush to neutralize.

Reply to
dadiOH

My toilet has a buildup of scale. I guess my water has a lot of calcium or something like that. Using bleach makes it look whiter, but the buildup is still there. Commercial toilet cleaners do not seem to remove it. Scraping it with a putty knife works, but it's a big job. What else can I use? I was thinking of some type of acid. I did pour some vinegar in it, but it's so diluted in the water that is dont do anything.

Suggestions? ============ If it really is bad enough, you could try Ring-B-Gone. If you're not afraid to use it after reading the back label, that is.

Reply to
Nelly

Think he's right. Wife was using something and it said 20% hydrochloric acid on the label. Told her I would get her refills in the future. Think muriatic is 37% concentrated HCl.

Reply to
Frank

There he lies, cold and placid, because he added water to the acid.

Reply to
krw

I tried "The Works". I'm impressed. That stuff really did the job. Four or five years of brown scale and it took it right away. I could see it bubbling, so it must contain an acid. As bad as this scale was, I had to use it twice, and apply elbow grease with the toilet brush, but considering how bad it was, it looks like a new toilet now, except for some of the marks left by the metal wire in the brush. I scrubbed hard, so I went down to the wire, and left some marks. But I'm sure that will wear off after awhile. It looks almost like a new toilet now. I'll recommend this product to anyone.

Reply to
jw