Hinge Question

Hello,

I wish to move a bathroom door to the other side.

So, I will have to also re-position the 3 hinges, and find a way to make them "flush" into the wood.

A Router would certainly do the job nice and cleanly, but I don't have one. Would like to avoid having to buy one just for this work.

Are there any tricks or techniques that would work in cutting out the indentation to have the hinge flush ?

Or, is a Router pretty much the only way to do it neatly ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Before the router, there were these things called chisels. Skilled woodworkers could use them to cut away the wood of the door jamb to inset the hinges. Some still use them. I've used them in the past. You know the goal, just take your time and do it.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

YouTube is your friend. Here is just one of many hits.

DerbyDad03

In the old days, a chisel would have been used by a craftsman, or possibly a Stanley #71/#271 (or clone) router plane.

A butt-gauge can be used to mark the outline of the hinge.

Be very careful to cut the mortises (that's what the indentation is called) square and aligned vertically on the jamb.

Scott Lurndal

Chisel. Do a google search - there are lots of DIY web sites with instructions, tips & tricks, even videos. Do a few practice mortises on scrap wood to get the feel of things. Carefully mark and score the outline with a razor knife first - rather than just a pencil line.

quick examples - you will probably find better ones if you search.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Chisels got the job done for centuries.

Reply to
rbowman

Don't know your situation but sometimes it's easier to install a new pre-hung door.

Reply to
Bill

If the door is actually made out of wood, then a chisel would be the way to go. If it is composite material, a router is your best choice.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Here's a decent choice that will work for this job and many others:

$70 without the plunge base, $95 with. If you are going to spend the $70, spend the $95. It's well worth it.

DerbyDad03