Help, weed name? Best weed killer?

Hi, My gravel yard is getting overrun with a weed (quick download photo link

) .

I live in central Colorado, semi-arid climate. Can anybody name this weed, and perhaps suggest a good herbicide? Roundup doesn't hurt it much.

I have some recently planted shrubs and trees - how do I avoid harming them when using weed killer?

Thanks

Reply to
Bill Case

Roundup can be mixed stronger. Cover plants with plastic or buckets. Most weed killers stay in the ground and attack other plants. Pull it or roundup

Reply to
m Ransley

Looks like a pine sapling to me. Give it 20 years and it should be

60 feet tall.

PJ

Reply to
PJx

In rec.gardens Bill Case wrote: : Hi, : My gravel yard is getting overrun with a weed (quick download photo link :

) .

: I live in central Colorado, semi-arid climate. Can anybody name this weed, : and perhaps suggest a good herbicide? Roundup doesn't hurt it much.

: I have some recently planted shrubs and trees - how do I avoid harming them : when using weed killer?

At a guess, this looks like an Artemisia of some kind. AKA sagebrush, sagewort, wormwood, etc. Is the stem woody? Are leaves a bit felty and give off a pungent odor when crushed?

If you go to the USDA Plants Database advanced search, you can narrow it down by state and genus:

An easier solution is to take a sample in to your local Extension office for ID. They should also be able to give you suggestions on how to get rid of it.

Roundup won't do much unless the plant absorbs it. Plants with waxy or felty leaves can be a challenge, even for Roundup. Try mowing it first or using a brushcutter to damage the leaves, then use Roundup or brush killer on it.

As for how to avoid harming other plants when using weed killer, you don't mention which kind, granular or spray. If you're using Roundup, you may want to use the kind that applies as a foam. Any drift on a windy day will damage or kill any plant.

-- Karen

The Garden Gate

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ^and cats -- Cicero =================================================================== On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002

Reply to
Karen Fletcher

Evergreens have a wax coating making roundup innefective, Maybe a solvent first to break down the wax, Maybe pulling them out is best

Reply to
m Ransley