Help removing a faucet stem

I have a dripping Standard faucet in my bathroom tub. I have managed to dismantle the faucet so that I am looking at the stem. Problem is, I can't figure out how to get the stem out. It doesn't unscrew, just rotates in either direction with no results. It passes through a disc with a hole in the middle (is this the seat?) and doesn't seem fixed. It just wiggles. It seems like if I pull hard enough it'll pop out, but I don't want to break anything. When I did pull on it, I think the disc came out a little bit with it, but I don't know if the disc is threaded in there. How do I get the stem out of there so I can check the washer?

Thanks, Bryan

Reply to
Bryan Hoyt

You have to remove the bonnet nut that is holding the stem in. To do so you need a special socket wrench made for this purpose. A set of them (different sizes) cost only a few dollars. You nay have to remove some caulking or even have to chip away a little bit of tile to get the wrench in.

Reply to
Marilyn and Bob

Assuming it really is an American-Standard fixture, they made a number of different designs. The "Aqua-Seal" stem uses a rubber "Top Hat" instead of a washer and looks like this:

In this case, yes, you have to yank it out as the Top Hat gets stuck.

The seat is further back in there and requires a seat wrench to loosen. Inspect the seat carefully for nicks.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks, but the bonnet nut is already out. The stem is partly on the other side of what I think is the seat. Do I just pull it through the seat?

Reply to
Bryan Hoyt

got it. thanks for the help.

Reply to