Heating a 180 sq ft addition.

I'm using an electric heater to keep the room at around 55 degrees which is just ok but I am considering another less expensive method. also in the small room the heater is always in the way. This addition is closed off from the house in winter with a curtain in an open doorway. I would like to cut a hole from the house into the addition about 6' up the wall and install a small, hopefully quiet, fan to push warm air from the house into the addition. Between that and leaving the doorway open I think it would be possible to match the house temperature and remove the electric heater.

Does this sound like a reasonable solution. What type of fan should I use. One that would work on a thermostat might be a good idea.

Reply to
roblilly

It might work if this room is insulated, if not it'll be like keeping a window open.

Standard box/window fans with thermostats work the opposite of your desire - they turn on when it gets hotter and off when it gets cooler.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Be sure to allow for air to return from the addition to the house.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would be careful to check building and fire codes before cutting that hole.

If you can run a natural gas pipe into the addition, a better solution is a small direct-vent space heater (both intake & exhaust through the wall) controlled by a wall-mounted thermostat. It must be installed on an outside wall for the vent hole. Operating costs are vastly cheaper than electric.

George Elkins

Reply to
George Elkins

- George Elkins -

- Nehmo - You could get away with a ventless heater. Of course, as you say, you'd need the gas supply, and OP apparently doesn't have gas in the addition yet.

But if OP wants to stick with the fan idea, I don't see anything wrong with it. I'd just use something like what Radio Shack sells for around $20. OP might consider making the hole near the top of the wall and sending a tube downward, or even to the other side of the room, to circulate.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

I'm considering a round hole and installing one of those 5" in duct fans used in furnace ducts. They come in 5 and 6 inch but I think the 5 inch would be about right. I'm told they are durable and quiet. A must because it will run steady 5 months of the year.

Reply to
roblilly

You know they do make "room balancer" fans, designed to push the heat from a room over- heated with a fireplace / wood stove into other areas of the house.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

I've heard about those but can't find them.

Reply to
roblilly