175 sq ft home

"[NEW YORK] Zaarath and Christopher Prokop -- and their two cats -- live in the smallest apartment in the city, a 175-square-foot "microstudio" in Morningside Heights the couple bought three months ago for $150,000 [$857/sq ft]."

With pic and detailed floor plan

HeyBub

"Honey, I need some time alone. I'll be in my=85ummm=85side of the room."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Wow. The amount of money they piss away on restaurants must be epic. They could probably afford a "real" apt. if they actually cooked their food instead of eating all meals out. Their "maintenance fee" is more than my mortgage payment AND my taxes, yet their entire apartment would fit in my living room. And my house is only 1800 sq ft. I think keeping two cats in a space that small amounts to animal cruelty. Those people are nuts.

2 people 2 cats in a 14 x 12.5 ft room all winter, it must smell nice.
Reply to
ransley

"Maybe I'll just get Christmas-tree pajamas and wear them around," laughed Zaarath. "That'll be good."

They could use a wall bed and get another inch or two of space :-/

Reply to
Oren

Well...as long as they dump the litter and replace it with fresh every single day (or scoop it several times a day) it should be fine. I prefer 1.5 cats per box (two boxes for every three cats), but 2 cats to one box is ok. Hell, they don't have room for more than one box. And they have to feed the cats ON the counter? I guess that's ok, since they never have any food there. Again, those people are crazy.

So they live in a 'house' that is smaller than either one of my 'garden sheds'. But. . . upper Manhattan for $150K ain't bad. People pay a lot more than that for a parking space.

"The couple will pay off their mortgage in two years, . . . . They will then be saddled only with their maintenance fee, which is just over $700 a month.

Don't know which is more beyond my comprehension - that they only will have a 2 yr mortgage-- or that their 'rent' will still be $700. Do you still have property taxes in a co-op- or is that part of the maintenance fees?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

think hoa fees. you still have property taxes. maint fees are for everything from your wall paint outwards in your condo.

Reply to
charlie

Nothing new, think of the folks that live in a travel trailer.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I could live there alone with maybe an aquarium, but the cats have to go. But for that moany you can almost buy a mansion here in Tennessee.

Reply to
Phisherman

Looks like a fancy prison.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

Agreed. But IMHO, anybody who voluntarily lives in Manhattan is insane by definition. (Of course, maybe they have never been off the island and simply don't know any better. They did a survey once, and a surprising percentage of 20-somethings had never been elsewhere. It just never came up, and since they live at the center of the known universe, they had no reason to be curious.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

reading the article, they started in the south, moved to jersey, moved to a new apt in ny, then here. downsizing every time. pretty soon they'll be in a cardboard box.

Reply to
charlie

I'm not so sure...

Excerpted from:

"Condo or co-op? What's the difference?"

Property taxes: Because condos are owned individually, they appear in the property tax rolls as separate entities and, accordingly, individual owners are taxed separately.

The entire property co-op is owned by the corporation, so it appears on the tax rolls as a single piece of property. The corporation pays the property taxes and passes along the cost to the tenant- shareholders, usually as part of the monthly maintenance fee.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hmmm, Smaller than our 5th wheel trailer!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

re: pretty soon they'll be in a cardboard box.

I wonder what the maintenance fees are for a cardboard box in Manhattan.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Didn't The City of New York try some of those hi-tech automated restrooms at one time? Two legged critters took up residence in them and turned the program into an expensive boondoggle, that experience could give you an idea of the cost of upkeep of a tiny abode in Manhattan. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I think I saw a whole trailer parks here for around that.

Reply to
Red Green

"charlie" wrote in news:hfs4cp$st5$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Personal Christmas Card

Red Green

Hell yes! $150,000 down and $700/month forever (+ increase for inflation) I think out in western TN you can still find 150 acres for $150,000.

Reply to
Tony