Hankook tires

I have been taking my cars for service to the same place for 40 years. It's walking distance from my house so I don't have to sit there all day or deal with buses home. They have always done things right so I've stuck with them.

A few days ago all I needed was a couple of tires replaced. They usually put on Goodyear so I did not specify but I noticed this time they used Hankook. I never heard of this brand so now I'm wondering if they just cheaped out on me to make a bigger profit?

Google says they are South Korean and customer reviews vary all over the map from poor to excellent.

Car gets very little use so perhaps it's a moot point.

Reply to
philo

They came on one of my Sonatas a few years back. There were just another set of tires, black, round, held air. Nothing significant about them good or bad. They lasted about the same as any other tire too. You should be OK with them.

Best tires I ever had were Nokian WRG3. Put them on my last car. They will go on my present car probably next winter. True all season with a snow rating.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I run Hankook DynaPro ATM's on our Toyota 4Runner 4x4 , they seem to be pretty good tires . Not a lot cheaper than the Big Name Tires ... I've gotten acceptable wear , they have good wet and decent slick/snow traction , and they don't roar at highway speeds . A good friend ran a set of these on his Jeep (CJ type) for 40k then put them on his pickup for IDK how many more miles . I'm not sure how many miles theres have on them , probably 20k or more and still have a lot of tread .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

You're a very bad American for buying that foreign stuff!

Reply to
trader_4

Ok thanks.

The tires that were on the car still had tread, but were so old they looked like they were starting to get dry rot.... so this is probably not too critical.

Reply to
philo

Thanks

Reply to
philo

I prefer to buy American but considering that most everything is made in China, it's hard to avoid non-American.

It's all from the same planet at any rate.

Reply to
philo

Go to TireRack.com and check out what they have to say about them.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Doesn't matter, Trump still says it's bad, bad, bad! I see Trump just learned that all US pipelines are not built with American steel. He wants to issue an exec order to fix that. Never mind that it's a violation of WTO, which we belong to. Any guesses as to how much foreign steel, foreign products are in Trump's projects? We know he buys his clothing products from China. But you Philo, those pipeline builders, you're the problem!

Reply to
trader_4

Were these tires for your '78 Ford Fairmont?

Reply to
Al Dente

Most Hankooks are fine for summer and fall, but winters are what separate the wheat from the chaff. ;)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Figured this would not take too long for Trump's name to come up... and in a way this is not OT because to most here, America is our home and it needs repair.

I guess I've spent too many years in bars noticing the friendly guy a few seats down who borrows money from all the drunks on either side of him to play bar dice. He never pays anyone back...pockets any money he makes and if he does nothing but lose, no big deal, not his money.

Sure , hey what's not to like when he says we should bring back US manufacturing and jobs? Sounds good I suppose but he will soon learn that the president cannot issue decrees like a king. It's all going to come tumbling down before too long.

When I see the National Review and Dick Cheney of all people on the other side of the fence from Trump I see his demise coming.

Reply to
philo

I have a Pontiac Vibe which is really a Toyota Matrix.

It's about 11 years old and has needed nothing but routine maintenance.

Bought it because it's a hatch back. Though a smaller car, can hold a hell of a lot. More than some SUV's I've been in.

Reply to
philo

I live in Wisconsin where there is plenty of Winter.

That said, I'm retired and if we have a snow storm often just wait a few days before I go out on the road. If I run out of anything, there are plenty of stores within easy walking distance.

Talked to a friend who lives way up in the north woods. she says she has to fire up her snowmobile just to get to her mailbox!

Reply to
philo

An example where Trump did something right was in talking to Tim Cook at Apple. Apparently he asked him to bring manufacturing back to the US and Cook said he's look into it. He also asked Cook what the govt could do to make that happen. I approve of that positive approach, instead of the negative approach of vilifying companies like Carrier, Ford, Boeing, etc.

The obvious problem is that Cook was just being polite. Apple doesn't put manufacturing in China because they want to. It would be much easier for them to put it in CA, put it close to their development centers, to their execs, etc. They put it there because they have to compete. Cook already knows this. In the article reporting on this, it said that an iPhone would likely cost $200 to $500 more if built in the USA. So, Cook will probably come back to Trump with something that shows that. And how the govt or anyone else can "fix" it, without causing other collateral damage here, IDK.

National Review I know about and salute. Cheney I'm not aware of. AFAIK, he supported Trump after he got the nomination. Has he said something recently? Cheney would sure be onboard with Trump and waterboarding. I mean, talk about Trump stupidity. I was OK with waterboarding, it was only used on 3 high value captures. But it's over. It was settled. His nominees for Defense and CIA are both against it. So, why the hell is Trump bringing this up again? And the dope didn't stop with waterboarding, he flat out said that he's OK with *torture*. "I feel it works". Start another needless firestorm, with headlines around the world saying "Trump wants torture". Great way to make America great again.

Reply to
trader_4

This is from Mark J. Perry of the American Enterprise Institute:

There's a chart there showing factory job losses. Most of the jobs lost are due to productivity increases.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I'm running Hankook studs and they work fine. The last set of studs I bought were Nokian Hakkapeliittas but i couldn't get them this time around. I figure the Finns should know something about winter tires but I have no complaint with the Hankooks.

It's not a valid comparison since the summer tires get a few more miles on them and on hot pavement but the tread life appears to be better than the Bridgestone Potenza's that came with the car. The previous Toyota had the same and they also wore quickly. Toyota goes with a low rolling resistance tire to improve the fuel economy stats, not tire life. I'm running Cooper CS5's now and am very happy with them. They are a touring, not a 'performance', tire but they do very well for handling.

Reply to
rbowman

Good find. But good luck convincing Trump or the Trumpets.

Reply to
trader_4

Have you bought tires recently? Where were they made?

I try to buy American but it's difficult. The Democrats and the so-called conservatives have destroyed US manufacturing so the 1% can profit. Trump has done more for America in a week than both parties have done in fifty years.

"Your old road is rapidly aging Please get out of the new one if you can?t lend your hand For the times they are a'changing"

I don't know about literature but Dylan should have gotten a Nobel prize for prophecy.

Reply to
rbowman

So there's no mistake, f*ck the WTO. And the UN. And NATO. Haley is showing a lot of promise in explaining the facts of life to the UN losers.

Reply to
rbowman