Gutter cleaning

The only bad experience I had with a contractor was the guy who quoted me $2000 for a new toilet.

Home Depot and $64 later, I did it myself in an hour.

Reply to
philo

Nope, I've never lived in a house that had one, they arent at all common here.

Sure. Tho in many places the roof isnt necessarily the main area that receives most of the rain except with McMansions. My roof area is only about a third of the total area of the block of land.

Reply to
Rod Speed

He's made two of them. The first was Schedule 40 PVC. The second was Schedule 80.

Our shingles barely hang over the drip edge. Snow and ice would break them off if they were any longer.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

I went through this a couple of years ago with a new deck. DE being a small state has contractors come in from nearby PA and MD. They might tell you that they have insurance but it may only cover their home state. Son had my wife worried about this and we were very careful.

I let the plumber do the toilets. I tried once and tightened it to the floor too much and broke it. I hear many have had this bad experience.

You can usually estimate a cost yourself and if quote is out of line seek others. A $2,000 toilet would be outrageous.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Our problem being older is that we cannot quite do the jobs we used to do. I even use a lawn service now. OTOH it is nice to be relieved of the servitude of having to do these jobs.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I put gutters on my garage because my wife wanted them. Flowers. The water flowing off a roof digs quite a furrow when it hits. Splashes the dirt onto brickwork/siding. Also have hoses on the downspouts to carry the water away from the foundation.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Agree. My wife has some issues that prevent her from doing much. She helped with the lawn, shoveled snow, kept up with whatever we needed. The housework fell on my over the last few years.

Since we moved, this house is a bit smaller and easier to care for, but, I have a lawn service and every other week a cleaning lady. She is well worth the money. She comes in and goes right to work for a solid four hours or so. When she leaves, everything is the way it was when we moved into the brand new house four months ago.

Twice a month she cleans the 8' glass slider in the kitchen. I'd probably do it twice a year. Fixtures and appliances shine.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Fortunately my wife is still capable of doing all she has been doing. We've had other neighbors have to bring in housekeeping.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I had my knees replaced maybe eight years ago and now am doing the same dumb stuff I did when I was 40.

Not sure if that is good or bad

Reply to
philo

We hire a friend to do the cleaning.

My wife and I are not at all good at cleaning but we don't have a cluttered house either. Mostly a lot of dust and cat fur.

Reply to
philo

I had to pull them out by hand, they were wet and pretty compressed.

It was not a very tough job

Reply to
philo

I have survived 40 years without leaf guards.

I'm 70 now so I don't think I will need them.

Reply to
philo

I've learned from the but some were just too much fun not to repeat anyway.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski