Gutter cleaning

Now that I'm almost 70, my wife insisted that I call a guy to clean the gutters.
After a ten month wait, I decided to just do it myself.
Had to do it when my wife was not watching.
I wonder if I should have those leaf guards installed?
On 4/19/2019 6:38 PM, philo wrote:

I was thinking the same thing but found a better way. I moved to a new house with no gutters.
My next door neighbor had gutters install two months ago. He was on the roof cleaning them last week. I'm not putting any on.
Had I stayed in the old house, probably would have put some sort of guard up.
On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 8:08:05 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Question is what type works best? And that might depend on what trees and stuff one has that wind up in them. One type uses a curved lip at the edge, where water rounds it and goes into a slot, while debris goes past it. I saw it working at a show with a moderate water flow. I wondered though what happens with a heavy downpour, if that winds up going past it. One problem I would think with all of them is that whatever does wind up in the gutter, you have to remove the guard to clean that out, so I'd want something that isn't too hard to remove. I remember fooling around with some stuff that HD or Lowes had, that slid under the shingles and over the gutter, ie it was DIY stuff.
On 4/19/19 8:30 PM, trader_4 wrote:

My ladder will take me safely as high as the bottom of the gutters but since it's a two story house do not want to risk my life working above the gutters, so would want to hire someone.
There is only one gutter near trees so I would not have to do all of them. Maybe it would not cost a fortune to just do one, ten foot section.

While I couldn’t have no gutters when I designed and built my house, I would prefer no gutters at all because that had worked well in some of the houses I had lived in previously. Obviously you do need some way to avoid columns of water off the roof across the doors but that’s not hard to do without any gutters.
Since I couldn’t have no gutters at the time I built the house, I have very wide gutters, must be about a foot wide. Very easy to shovel the leaves out using a standard flat ended spade, onto the ground beside the house.
One problem is that the design of the flat roof now doesn’t allow me to easily have no gutters. They arent legally required anymore here.
On 4/19/19 6:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was thinking about that...hard to see why gutters are even needed.
On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 9:32:21 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:

a new

on the

Well, they would be a good idea to keep rain from pouring onto your head when you enter and exit. And assuming the water is dealt with correctly, they take water away from the foundation, where it can wind up in the basement, if there is one. Also depends on how much overhang there is. If there isn't much, you have water pouring down on whatever is below and if that has any dirt on it, it can splash back up and dirty the siding. The falling water can erode whatever is below it, so hopefully there is mulch, stone or something there so it doesn't make a hole. I guess it also depends on how much rain you get, AZ or Oregon, etc.

Yes, but its not hard to ensure that doesn’t happen at the doors without gutters.

I don’t have one and most houses here don’t have them.

But you get that even with gutters.

Yeah, I have one of my gutters falling onto the ground at the corner of the very deep 6' eaves on the sunny side of the house and there is quite hole there in the dirt there.
One of the houses my parents owned had a small pit with stones in it with a chain from the gutter to that pit that the water flowed down. Worked well.

Yeah, that house the parents had was in Brisbane. I have never seen such a downpour anywhere else at times. Very spectacular and you can get cars floating down the road at times there.
On 4/19/19 8:39 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Since my house already has good gutters, might as well leave them. Been here 40 years now.

Yeah, I agree. I have lived in houses with no gutters and that works fine.
I wasn’t legally allowed to have no gutters when I designed and built the house here in the very early 70s, but no gutters are allowed here now.
On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 10:21:02 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:

Did any of these houses have a basement?
We like to direct water away from the foundation so the basement stays dry.
Cindy Hamilton

Nope, I've never lived in a house that had one, they arent at all common here.

Sure. Tho in many places the roof isnt necessarily the main area that receives most of the rain except with McMansions. My roof area is only about a third of the total area of the block of land.
On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 1:29:07 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:

The roof area of my house is about 1% of my total acreage. My garage has gutters on the front to reduce ice on the driveway and the shop has gutters even though it is on a slab, just because...
Cindy Hamilton
On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 10:34:28 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I put gutters on my garage because my wife wanted them. Flowers. The water flowing off a roof digs quite a furrow when it hits. Splashes the dirt onto brickwork/siding. Also have hoses on the downspouts to carry the water away from the foundation.

Gpod for you.
Just did my gutters a few days ago. I climb onto the roof(s) and use the back pack blower. Worst part for me is getting near the edge with a 2 story drop to the driveway. Lower parts of the roof don't bother me. Why does getting older make you more afraid of heights? Might be my imagination.
Still doing gutters myself at 73. When I give up, time to rent.
--
Dan Espen

I've painted houses hanging off the almost last rung of 40 foot ladders. When I was younger. When I was about 45 years old I climbed about 20 feet up to paint windows on my 2-flat. My legs started shaking. Came back down and haven't been up since. I figured my legs were telling me something.

I still do mine at 72, but it's a single story bungalow. Cutting down the single big maple that was sitting over my sewer line mostly eliminated the need. Around here the firemen do a good side business of cleaning. I heard they charge $150. There are some Youtube videos showing how to set up leaf blowers with PVC pipe to clean gutters from the ground. Probably could make that work for gutters up to maybe 15-20 feet high.
On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 10:15:02 AM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:

That's what we use. My husband didn't refer to Youtube, though. He formed the PVC such that it slots in to the leaf blower just like the part it replaces. We bicker a little bit over who gets to use it, although if it's been raining I always concede.
Our gutters are maybe 9 feet off the ground.
Cindy Hamilton
Cindy Hamilton

I made one of those but it is somewhat heavy and shingles cover nearly half the gutter so gap is not as good as it could be. I tried it before I climbed the ladder and ended up with a lot of wet leaves in my hair. Once they get wet and sit and soak, physical re-movement works best.
On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 12:13:52 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

He's made two of them. The first was Schedule 40 PVC. The second was Schedule 80.
Our shingles barely hang over the drip edge. Snow and ice would break them off if they were any longer.
Cindy Hamilton
On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 10:30:23 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Some are made with aluminum downspout. Very light weight.