Grease spilled on wood floor

Check this link for health issues related to methylene chloride and methanol....amazing types of products which contain methanol (likely tiny amounts):

MC as harmless as paint? Not true, if you are including all types of paint. MC is dangerous on a number of issues.

Reply to
norminn

I hate when folks break their mental legs jumping to conclusions.

"The way you made it sound..." Oh? !

I'm not responsible for what goes on inside your head!

So you want "...all the info..."? About where in this room is the stain. Is it visible to all? Who comes into my bedroom? What are my standards for cleanliness/aesthetics?

Though I much appreciate the suggestions offered by your good self and all the other NG members, kindly let ME decide whether I want to "put a nice throw rug over it..." or operate according to your standards!

Reply to
Amiga

It's God's honest truth. From my lips to heaven's gate! You could let your sister marry it. You could name your children after it. You could build a whole religion around it. It's as true as a dog's unconditional love. It could be the foundation for the building of an empire that would rival that of Rome in its prime. You could print it on our currency or chisel it in the foundation stone of the Supreme Court building.

What's "methanol" got to do with denatured alchohol? It's ETHYL alcohol that's carcinogenic and "denatured" alcohol is ethyl alcohol plus posions.

--- begin quote Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans: May affect genetic material (mutagenic) Causes adverse reproductive effects and birth defects (teratogenic) , based on moderate to heavy consumption. May cause cancer based on animal data. Human: passes through the placenta, excreted in maternal milk. (Ethyl alcohol 200 Proof)

--- end quote

HeyBub

No matter WHAT you do you are gonna have a spot that will be noticable without re-finishing it to some degree and with a VERY WORN wood floor even trying to re-finish the spot , it will stick out like a sore thumb , as the rest of the floor is, as YOU said , VERY WORN anyway...You wanted a SIMPLE solution and there is NONE..Your VERY WORN floor had NO finish to protect it and it is STAINED DEEP and short of using HARSH chemicals or sanding it ain't going anywhere..If you put down a throw rug it will not only hide your spot but hide your VERY WORN floor as well while you save up to get the whole floor re-finished which is what's needed by the way YOU made it sound...Plus the NEXT time you slop greasy food on the rug you can clean it with spot remover..You asked for advice...You got it..Don't like it , fine , do what ever the hell you want but don't get all snotty about it...ESPECIALLY when asked for more info...

Reply to
benick

The OP asked for advice about removing a grease stain, not about bringing his home decor up to your standards. Some of us are very comfy with "very worn" finish on wood floors. And who is snotty? I hate when folks make stupid assumptions and then get mad because they didn't understand a simple question.

Reply to
norminn

Then you should be all comfy with stains on unprotected wood floors....I didn't realise that the worn look was a decor statement...I would define it as lack of maintaince...Wood needs to be protected or it gets stained and has nothing to do with bringing it up to my home decor standards..He got a LIST of stuff that will remove grease though I HIGHLY doubt it will remove it entirely or make it look any better , as it has STAINED the wood , thus the rug suggestion as it is in the bedroom where he likes to eat greasy food..I hate when folks ass u me somebody is mad for pointing out the obvious....I am not mad...I understand the question perfectly..I also understand when somebody is lazy and think it is some sort of fashion statement..I also understand when somebody is being snotty after asking for advice..As for making stupid assumtions..Pot , kettle , black..............

Reply to
benick

Have you tried an iron, as in iron your clothes, and folded paper towels. Hope the heat liquidfies the grease enough that the paper towel absorbs most of it. That would have been my first thought. Works to remove candle wax to a point from carpet.

Reply to
RLM

Rub your head on the floor and clean it up with your hair.

Reply to
StepfanKing

Thanks, amigo. I wasn't even going to answer him, to end the agony, but you did a great job!

Now I have to sort out the different opinions from kind posters about the efficacy/danger of various solvents.

Reply to
Amiga

Yes, lack of maintenance. Certain paths in the house are worn from much use over many years. Can't afford to do more than keep them waxed in the worn areas.

..Wood needs to be protected or it gets stained and

where he likes to eat greasy food.

???? Another less than genteel comment.

How do you know what I like to eat, and where? You have only one datum. Drawing a general conclusion from such a tiny data bank reveals much about your reasoning powers.

Your personality is really emerging.

.I hate when folks ass u me somebody is mad for pointing out the

???? Lazy? Fashion statement?

This is becoming really hilarious. Wonder what your home life is like!

.I also understand when somebody is being snotty after asking for

Reply to
Amiga

No, darn it; never thought of that. Will try anything, esp. milder remedies, before going heavier. This has been several weeks ago, so maybe too late, but couldn't hurt to try.

Tx

Reply to
Amiga

An iron wont do didly, its imbedded

Reply to
ransley

An iron wont do didly, its imbedded

As I've been TRYING to tell the idiot ransley , but he's to stupid to realize it yet...He's a lost cause.....He has a whole list of chemicals and their respective pros and cons and now he is starting over again asking about chemicals...Next he will ask if the "magic" Sham Wow towels will take it out.....LOL...

Reply to
benick