source for oilite bushing?

ref: my previous post about resurrecting an old drill motor...

checked the drive gear and output shaft appears to be 15/32" diameter... need an oilite bushing 15/32" i.d. 5/8" o.d. 7/8" length... quick web search only shows diameters by eights... anywhere I could order these?

good news is if I can find one looks like it will only be a buck or two...

...or would I have to get a 7/16" bushing and ream to fit? that might make this an expensive proposition...

thanks

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

=BF=BDquick web

mc master carr, and local bearing shops will likely carry what you need

Reply to
hallerb

went to mcmaster first, figured they would have it... no such luck. haven't found my "local bearing shop" yet... searching for "bearing" locally returns a lot of "bearing point" offices but no bearing suppliers... freakin' consultants :) (well, I guess someone has to drive up property values)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I"ve made them before by getting one smaller inside diameter and reaming it to the correct size. Time consuming but not difficult.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

I figured. Problem is, lack of machine tools :( Do you think the finish from just running a 15/32 drill bit through it would be too horrible? I am tempted to do just that. Would it tear up my bits or does it drill OK?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It drills fairly easy. The trick is keeping the hole concentric. When you "searched" for the bearing guy, did you look in the phone book? A lot of these guys haven't discovered the computer yet. Motor shops are another place to look.

Reply to
gfretwell

You might check metric sizes. 15/32 is pretty close to 12mm and 5/8 pretty close to 16mm. I'm sure the original wasn't metric, but whatever works....

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

You have to look in the paper Yellow Pages. All online Yellow Pages sites that I've found (at least in the United States) suck. They don't seem to realize that if I'm looking in the Yellow Pages, it's because I want to buy it, in person, today or tomorrow, not because I want to order it from a place 1000 miles away and wait. If I want to order it and wait I will Google it and find a vendor that is easy to deal with online. Online Yellow Pages also depend heavily on keyword matching, rather than humans sorting ads into the right categories.

Also, real hardware stores usually have a selection of oilite bushings. Not Home Depot or Lowe's - an Ace, True Value, or independent hardware store will be a better bet. They are usually in the stack of plastic or cardboard boxes with little compartments in them.

Earlier you said it was a Black and Decker drill. B&D usually has a service and parts shop in big cities; you might try there. They might have to do it by part number, not size, or you might luck out when the old guy at the parts desk says "Yeah, all the ones before 197x took a no. 12345-6 bushing, lemme go get one".

You probably won't be able to buy just one bearing from them, but the manufacturer's site

shows part number AI081014 for 16/32" ID, 5/8" OD, 7/8" long; you may be able to cross this part number if you can't order by size. They don't list any 15/32" ID bearings, and the 14/32" ID ones only come in 9/16" and 11/16" OD.

Also consider that if the ID of the bearing has been pounded out over time, a 14/32" (7/16") ID may be closer to what you need. You might measure the shaft and see what you think. Also, going back and forth from decimals (on the calipers) to fractions is a common source of confusion.

Maybe you can substitute a ball bearing, if you can find one that will fit. See

for an example.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

*Possibly Graingers. Another place to try is a motor repair shop.
Reply to
John Grabowski

I'll have to see if I still have one... I'm so used to just going straight to McMaster-Carr that my computer is my source for 99% of my stuff...

yeah, I figured that. Unfortunately the only independent close to me closes at 6 PM. there is one that is open later and has more hardware but it is a good ways out of my way... maybe I should just make the time to drive by there. (on the upside, it is close to the Red Wing store, and I need some new boot laces... yet another item that you'd think would be easy to find in your generic local Wally World or Target but isn't.)

I did measure the shaft, not the ID of the old bushing. It's really egg shaped, like someone was using it to drive a wire wheel. The bshing is actually over 1/2" ID now, hence my wishing to replace it :) Steel shaft doesn't look worn though, it looks like the bronze took all the abuse. Also the steel bushing that holds the rear of the shaft (measured eyeballically) is a hair over 15/32.

It'd have to have real freakin' small balls... (5/8 - 15/32)/2 =3D

5/64 and not a whole lot of meat to drill larger.

I am real tempted just to use a 7/16 bushing and drill it. Maybe use a 29/64 bit and try to hone it to fit? Might be a *little* sloppy but better, and this would be like my backup drill if *two* of my other drills fail. In other words, it'll kick around the bottom of my roll cabinet until I get sick of looking at it and pawn it off on someone. Or in other words, it doesn't seem to be worth putting any exceptional amount of effort into it.

nate

Reply to
N8N

It will drill oversize.

Reply to
tnom

How far oversize? 1/64" or more? I have a complete index. I did pick up some 1/2" and 7/16" bushings and they fit just like I expected (1/2" sloppy, 7/16" no go)

Again, this is a nasty cheap hack to make something destined for the junkpile functional again. I'm probably going to try drilling the 7/16" bushings and will report success or dismal failure :)

thanks

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Grainger's doesn't have. really would like a mail order source if they exist. Motor repair shops, auto electric shops, etc. don't exist in my area.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

f they