Goodman AC Lemon

Evidently Goodman sells lemon air conditioning. Do yourself and your customers a favor and don't ever buy a Goodman or Amana product.

I have a unit that is 4 years old. I've already replaced the condenser coils. The compressor sounds like hell, and I had to put a hard-start cap on it.

And now the evaporator coils need to be replaced. My AC has been down for a week. First, Goodman told the service guys that they didn't make the coils anymore. Then they came up with a replacement which they said would be there overnight. Then when the service guys went to pick it up, they said they didn't have any in stock.

So now I have in Florida heat without air conditioning for another week until Goodman finds a replacement coil and sends it here.

Reply to
divnivan

Gotta hate it when the lowest price comes back to bite you inna ass.

Reply to
Noon-Air

One would expect from this that this is a conclusion based on a large number of reports.

Now it seems that in fact you're saying this because *you* got a bum unit. Don't you know that every product from every manufacturer is less than 100% glitch-free? You have no business telling people to avoid a single product, let alone an entire manufacturer, based on your one experience with one unit.

Reply to
Harlan Messinger

My guess is he had a dud installer.

Reply to
CJT

Don't look at me. I'm in New York.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The OP is a home owner, and most likely not a tech. It was the cheapest equipment, most likely installed by the lowest bidder for be found. The OP didn't get what he didn't pay for, and now he's pissed.

Remember the commercial "Pay me now, or pay me later"?? Guess what, its later.

Reply to
Steve

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:g6dn9q $rra$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org:

LOL!

Reply to
Red Green

Harlan Messinger wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Well I got a Goodman gas pack this year. It's putting out 58 deg when it's 100 outside with the sun on it and 52 when the sun does down representing a 20 to 26 degree differential. So, I can't complain.

I guess my experience negates the OP's experience.

It will be serviced by the company who installed it in the spring. Any preventative maintenance (PM) it needs it will get. I prefer paying PM anually in pieces vs saving a nickel anually then whining because something got fried being over worked.

Reply to
Red Green

Change your filter every time you get your utility bill & pay the man for a yearly checkup & you'll be a happy camper.

goodluck geothermaljones

Reply to
geothermaljones

By that logic I should tell everyone to buy the unit that I installed in my house about 10 years ago. It's a heat pump & its run trouble free since the day I installed it. I've never touched it since, not even done any periodical check-ups. Guess what brand it is, oh! it's a Goodman.

Your problem seems to be not with the equipment but with the people you're dealing with. I wouldn't be surprised if the condenser coil was replaced on a guess & now the next thing to replace is the evaporator coil. If you replace enough stuff sooner or later the leak will have to stop.

Reply to
Gary

"geothermaljones" wrote in news:O9adne9TR5kgBhfVnZ2dnUVZ_v snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

My filters have always got changed the first of the month religiously. A nice touch; with the install came a 12 month supply of filters.

Reply to
Red Green

Gary wrote in news:g6e6at$pio$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

And we have no idea if it was run without those pesky filters or is still sporting the original one. Or maybe it's installed directly under an eve bombarded by water or better yet below a valley. Bulls-eye for icicles.

Reply to
Red Green

At least you know your work...

Reply to
KJPRO

Don't forget about animal urine on outdoor coils and indoor air quality issues for the evaporator...

Reply to
KJPRO

How could an evaporator coil go bad? Did your technician charge the system with ammonia instead of Freon?

If you've been using the same A/C company, I'd switch.

Reply to
HeyBub

Depending on the brand and the installation, if its not done correctly in the first place, you can expect 7 - 10 years befor they start leaking.... if it was installed correctly, and properly maintained, you may get 18 - 30 years before your have problems.

Reply to
Steve

Simple, they start leaking... Look up formicary corrosion.

Reply to
KJPRO

Ah, thanks. I found this:

"Formicary coil corrosion is caused by contaminants in the air that collect onto the condensation that forms on indoor coils during a cooling cycle. These contaminants turn into acids when they are exposed to the moisture, etching the copper of the coils in a manner that looks like tunnels in an ant farm."

I'm in Texas where the people and the air are pure, so we don't see air-coil ant-farms (we do, however, have fire ants and law schools).

The OP is in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I'm not sure that contributes to the air quality. Maybe he's downwind from an unsanitary Taco Stand.

Reply to
HeyBub

Doesn't matter where you live today, as the newer coils are made cheap with cheap materials. That means thinner and thinner copper being used to keep things cheap while making them more efficient.

Formicary corrosion is caused by household products off gasing fumes. They include but are not limited to... carpets, furniture, hair spray, purfume, etc, etc... New homes are effected the worse, as everything is new and the gases are stronger, sometimes effecting a coil in less than a year. There's new coils being manufactured to slow this effect down... as it is a major problem in todays world.

Reply to
KJPRO

Hi all.

With Goodman being the hands down low price leader; Goodman has been the #1 choice here on the coast especially since Katrina. You see them on million $ plus homes.

I have to love them because we get a great deal of service calls because of them. They are very simple to work on as you all know.

But I do prefer to work on them when they have been installed by others.

As for us installing them; we were forced to after the storm due to the low price. But we don't anymore. Payne with their package pricing is about the same price. Depending on tonage Payne can be lower in price.

Any brand can and will have problems but the one thing that keeps us from installing Goodman anymore is poor warranty parts availability. Especially coils. We have had several occasions where we had to wait up to 12 weeks for a warranty coil. On each occasion we called all the local distributors and there was not a coil to be had in the country. I have to assume that they batch their factory for efficiency and this causes the supply disruptions. If anyone knows some secret that I don't know to help us get coils quicker, I am all ears.

Bye now:

Reply to
KAubert (Air-Care)