Window AC Condensation Hole

I just installed a Haier 5200 btu unit into a bedroom. I looked for a hole in the bottom of it for the condensation to drip out, but there was not one. The only thing the manual mentioned about it was that it should be installed at a 5 degree tilt.

Should I drill a hold into the bottom of it or ignore it. I certainly don't want to be smelling mildew/moldy air coming out of it this summer.

Thanks.

Reply to
someone

NO, don't drill a hole. The unit is designed to use the condensate to help cool the unit. The fan will usually have a slinger ring to spray the water on the coil. The drain pan will direct the water to the proper spot.

The ACs are designed to run this way and millions of them do. Your "improvement" will void the warranty and potentially cause damage. People have ended up trashing brand new ACs doing what you propose.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi,

A copy:

Q - My air conditioner never drips any water out the back, isn't it suppose to?

A - *Most room air conditioners are designed NOT to drip water out the back. The condenser fan blade has a ring built into it to pick up the water and "sling" the water against the hot condenser tubing to help keep the coils cooler when the unit is running. This slinger can sometimes be heard "swooshing" the water around when the fan is running. This is one way modern a/c are use less hydro be reusing the cooler water to help cool the hot coils.

  • Usually only larger unit's may have a drain spout on the back of the a/c.

Yupper, 5-10 degree tilt towards the back allows the water fro mthe evaporator in the front travel to the hot condensor at the back of the unit.

Nope, we repair 4-6 units every year with a drilled hole through one of the refrigerant lines!! Often is a $150-200 repair!!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid